2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This truck is killing my wallet!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 PM
richardmoore
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This truck is killing my wallet!!

As much as I love my truck this month its been killing me, I already made a post about the $315 left wheel bearing that I put in now let me list what its in the shop for now!

I first took it in to get the left U-joint replaced and my mechanic found all this:
1. Left U-joint $15
2. Right U-joint $15
3. Both seals inside axle tubes to keep Diff. oil and axle oil apart $30
4. Left axle because the bad seal wore a grove in the axle that can't be fixed $550
5. Right wheel bearing $250
6. Upper and lower ball-joints, both sides $700 (Includes install, not getting that done now)

The installation will be horrible because they have to tear apart the entire frontend to get to the seals, and I know the guy isn't BSing me cause I went and saw all of the damage myself and priced it myself. I'll let ya'll know what the final cost is, hes a good friend of mine so he said he was going to give me a break, lets hope so![sm=hail.gif]

Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Fiero Guy
Rookie
Default RE: This truck is killing my wallet!!

sounds about like what my truck got last month....

Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 AM
mossy765
Professional

I just had my right front wheel bearing replaced on my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4x4 and it was $650 for parts and labor and they had it for about a week. It sucked.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:09 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Yep, I did the same on my truck at like 210,000 miles. Both front U-joints, all three axle seals. Axle seals alone were like $600+. No ball joints yet, but just waiting for that day to come.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
richardmoore
Professional

Final cost: $1,226.66!!
Thats without getting the ball joints replaced, that can wait a while. If I hadn't had to get the bearing and new axle the U-joints and seals were only going to be $375, but I can't get luck that good, at least the guy only had it for 4 days.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:42 PM
purdueranger
Veteran

What about doing the work yourself? if you have some jackstands and a ball joint press you can do your own ball joints. Buy a new axle from a parts store. U-joints are so easy to change. All you need is a little sledge and an anvil.

Paying for labor sucks. I try and do everything myself. I don't want some other person work on my vehicle for a week when I know I can do it all in a weekend.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:17 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

PurdueRanger has the absolute right idea. I do most of my own work whenever possible (except of all things Fluid Changes. I dont have anywhere to put that stuff and don't like the mess)

Anyway, if you don't want to spend a fortune in tools, go to HarborFreight. Their tools are cheap, literally, but will save you a bundle over Sears not to mention SnapOn, Mac, and the others.

I own alot of Craftsman tools, only because I work on and own 2 different trucks. But for specialty tools (like a u-joint/ball joint press) I bought that at Harbor Freight. Something like $20 or some such. I've used it a bunch of times, no problems at all! Its a viable option over paying a shop 1200 bucks for something that costs maybe $100 in parts.

The cylinder head replacement I just did on my Ram cost $900 for the heads. I believe the actual cost to have it done would have been close to $2000. So I saved $1100 doing it myself. Adds up doesn't it?

Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran

Yeah if your not mechanically inclined you should not be driving a Dodge!
lol

Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

I agree man do it yourself as much as you can and i work on other peoples cars for a living. Alot of the issue for is one of the pride of know i did it myself and knowing its done right. Having someone do it isn't a bad thing some people are just not good with thier hands. So IMO if you can do it take pride in what you can do.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: ljpierce_ely

PurdueRanger has the absolute right idea. I do most of my own work whenever possible (except of all things Fluid Changes. I dont have anywhere to put that stuff and don't like the mess)...

...The cylinder head replacement I just did on my Ram cost $900 for the heads. I believe the actual cost to have it done would have been close to $2000. So I saved $1100 doing it myself. Adds up doesn't it?
and you can spend the saved bux on upgrade goodies like I did. Last May I installed R/T heads $1325, new timing chain $90 (could have gone with a cheeper one but this one was pretty good), 1.7 Crower roller rocker kit which included the guide plates and the rods $615... plus all of the dremel tools needed to mod my intake manifold. Now I have a screamin motor...

Quick Reply: This truck is killing my wallet!!