2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission issues/questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Totally unrelated. Just coincidental.....

Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Willster
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh...

Last edited by Willster; 09-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Willster
Rookie

Well, new update to this issue, and it ain't good......pretty sure my transmission is toast.....

I was going down the road yesterday, on my way to the transmission shop ironically, to have them scan and diagnose this P1740 code and see if they could pinpoint more what is going on or causing it, aand all of a sudden the truck goes from not shifting quite right, to not moving at all, within less than 2 miles. I get out of the truck and notice a line of ATF following me, and a good size puddle under the truck where I stopped. Pop the hood and, the top (return) line hose from the tranny cooler to the radiator had come completely off! So, needless to say I lost damn near, if not, all of my ATF in the process. Had the truck pulled back to the house (in neutral, didn't try to drive it anymore).

I hooked the hose back up to the (metal) cooler line, tightened the clamp good, dropped 5 quarts of ATF back in it, let it run for 10-15 minutes to get good and warm. Verified no leaks, checked the ATF, and it was in the OK range on the dipstick. So I took it for a road test, and, in less than a mile, it was not shifting or running well AT ALL; hung out in 1st gear beyond 30mph and nearly 3,000 RPM before finally shifting (roughly, lunging) into 2nd, more of the same in 2nd gear, RPM's going up much quicker than the speedometer. And when I took my foot off the gas, I heard grinding and clicking noises, and a lot of lunging and stalling through pretty much all gears, never getting higher than 35-40 mph. I got it home, but very slow and sluggish, not sounding or moving well AT ALL. Correct me if I'm wrong (please?), but I get the impression I am in the market for a full blown tranny rebuild. Thoughts?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Willster
Rookie

Well, new update to this issue, and it ain't good......pretty sure my transmission is toast.....

I was going down the road yesterday, on my way to the transmission shop ironically, to have them scan and diagnose this P1740 code and see if they could pinpoint more what is going on or causing it, aand all of a sudden the truck goes from not shifting quite right, to not moving at all, within less than 2 miles. I get out of the truck and notice a line of ATF following me, and a good size puddle under the truck where I stopped. Pop the hood and, the top (return) line hose from the tranny cooler to the radiator had come completely off! So, needless to say I lost damn near, if not, all of my ATF in the process. Had the truck pulled back to the house (in neutral, didn't try to drive it anymore).

I hooked the hose back up to the (metal) cooler line, tightened the clamp good, dropped 5 quarts of ATF back in it, let it run for 10-15 minutes to get good and warm. Verified no leaks, checked the ATF, and it was in the OK range on the dipstick. So I took it for a test drive, and, in less than a mile, it was not shifting or running well AT ALL; hung out in 1st gear beyond 30mph and nearly 3,000 RPM before finally shifting (roughly, lunging) into 2nd, more of the same in 2nd gear, RPM's going up much quicker than the speedometer. And when I took my foot off the gas, I heard grinding and clicking noises, and a lot of lunging and stalling through pretty much all gears, never getting higher than 35-40 mph.... I got it home, but very slow and sluggish, not sounding or moving well AT ALL. Correct me if I'm wrong (please?), but I get the impression I am in the market for a full blown tranny rebuild. Thoughts?

Last edited by Willster; 10-18-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Stick a fork in it, you are done. At this point, it might still be possible to drop the pan, and resurrect it for a little while, but, it is going to remain a ticking time bomb, and will pick the least convenient moment to completely crap out on you. Not to mention you will be afraid to drive it anywhere..... So, start scouting for a good trans shop.

Sorry man.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Willster
Rookie

Yea, that's what I figured based on my experience the other night, but thought it would be worth running by you guys before I actually threw in the towel. I have already contacted a very good tranny shop and priced the rebuild, they will do it for about $1,650 installed, so now just a matter of getting the money together and getting the truck there. Not giving up on the truck, it is in too good of shape other than this. If I can get the tranny fixed like new for less than $2,000, the truck will be like new again more/less. I don't know when, but Ole Blue will be back!!!! Thanks for all of your help!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Willster
Rookie

Ole Blue is heading to the shop next week for a complete tranny rebuild, torque converter, electronics and all, so should be back on the road and like new in just a few days! Looking forward to it!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Willster
Rookie

Ole Blue is BACK!!!! Tranny is rebuilt, new cooler and all! Woo Hoooo!! Water pump went out the day after I got it out of the shop lol, but I have replaced it and the belt now and it is good to go. I do have a couple questions now though:

Since the rebuild, it has ran a little weird when colder in lower gears, like hanging out in 1st or 2nd gear before shifting up. After it has run for a little while, it seems to come out of it. The mechanic said that is because of there still being some "junk" in the valve body that needs to work itself out, but that it will. Just wondered if that sounds right, and/or if it would be because now, with the new cooler he installed, he bypassed the radiator, and replaced the old lines from the tranny and cooler with just plain hoses and clamps, so I don't have a check valve ball anymore. Secondly, when I decelerate from around 65-70 mph, I notice a rumbling sound for just a second or two, then it goes away. I would compare it to the sound of a semi's jake brake when they go to slow down quickly at higher speeds, but I didn't remember it doing that prior to the rebuild either, so just wondered if that is normal, or if I should call and let the mechanic know? Other than that, she is running like a beast, better than ever before, glad to have it back!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any input or advice given!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It may actually be working correctly now... Holding the gears till the engine warms up, to help it warm faster. (and become more efficient.....)

I would be tempted to drop the rear shaft, and check the snap ring on the output shaft of the t-case, to make sure it is still there....

Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Willster
Rookie

Sounds good. And, I forgot to mention (didn't know if it would apply, but sounds like it might), he took and kept the drive shaft off of it for right now, because he discovered the issue with my 4WD not working is the pinion in my differential is messed up and needs replaced. But for the time being, until that is repaired, he left the drive shaft off. So does that explain or make more sense of the noise I am hearing on deceleration from the higher speeds, then?

Quick Reply: Transmission issues/questions.....