2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission issues. new to automatics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Fluid was burnt..... Did you find anything interesting in the pan?

Check your fluid level again. (in neutral) Might still just be low.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 PM
workinman916
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i apologize i was thinking of engine dipstick not tranny i have too many things running through my mind it almost looks like its been dipped in something on purpose or sat in still oil for long time.i added just a little bit of tranny fluid to top it off and now i have second gear amazing at least i think so but when it goes to third itll buck and seemed like it was seizing so i shifted to neutral really quick but my reverse works better than it was also it seems to 1-2 shift a bit too soon around 1500 maybe ill tighten that t.v cable a bit and see what happens. i will keep you updated when i can i am moving today so full schedule going on. maybe the tv cable was a 2 man job but it seemed to be all the way forward at closed throttle and moved seemlessly throughout and returned smooth also.i just hope its not rear band i cant take that pan off anymore for a while it gets old quick after three times in three days. and that rear band is a pain any special tricks im missing to tighten lock nut while holding adj. screw my wrenches seem a bit wide to get a strong bite. but cant find any narrower ones. i also read you should always have overdrive off unless on freeway with no load any validity to this statement. thank you

Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 PM
workinman916

there was a little bit of sludge coating on pan but nothing alarming and a surprisingly clean magnet i don't think i saw any shavings either of the times

Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Time to install one of these in the pan. I'd take the pan off again and adjust the band. And this thread has directions in it on to to adjust the TV cable to factory spec.https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

Name:  DSCF0614.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  109.6 KB

Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 PM
workinman916

thank you zman i am going to order that as soon as i can i was hoping to find one local but am realizing online is only place. and i am going to readjust cable i must have misenterpreted instructions. i got the service manual free download from a thread on this site heres a link if anyone is interested. http://www.mediafire.com/download/oj...srvcmanual.zip

Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 PM
workinman916

i am going to wait until i have drain kit before re-readjusting band again and that pan comes off one less time of removing it will add longevity to my life im sure of it.i have a slight anger problem when it comes to this procedure and tranny fluid does not help the situation if you know what i mean

Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, your trans seems rather erratic... Governor is on the output shaft and would require the tail housing to be removed. The factory aluminum governor plug had a tendency to mushroom a little and get sticky in the bore causing low governor pressure, aftermarket steel is available. But to verify that the governor is even part of the problem a pressure gauge needs to be put on the governor pressure test port. You would be looking for approximately 1psi for every mph that you are moving up to about 70. Even a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge from auto zone could be used for this particular test. The test port plug is 1/8" npt so the kit comes with the right fitting to tap into it. The port is on the passenger side of the trans, about in the middle at the split where the tail housing bolts on and kind of points at the exhaust. For factory pressures you can also use that gauge to check line pressures at the accumulator on the same side right in the middle of the front half of the transmission. Max pressure is usually in the 90psi neighborhood on that port. Checking that will help determine the overall health of your transmission.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:59 PM
workinman916

thank you that is some very useful information i know what im doing with my next day off now. and excuse my ignorance but how would i check pressure as i am driving just get a long hose and drive careful. or did i misunderstand something.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by workinman916
thank you that is some very useful information i know what im doing with my next day off now. and excuse my ignorance but how would i check pressure as i am driving just get a long hose and drive careful. or did i misunderstand something.
You need diagnostic equipment to check pressures(expensive). Take to a shop you trust that has a nice scanner and they can check it. Or a shop that does the check with gauges.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are pressure test Ports for both line and governor pressure on the passenger side of the transmission as I said earlier. The cheap parts store oil pressure gauge kits usually come with 6 feet of line. If your truck is a 4x4 you should be able to simply pop your 4x4 shift lever boot up and run the line through there. It is easier if you can find someone willing to drive your truck while you watch the gauge. No scanner will ever be able to read pressures in an RH as there are no pressure sensors inside the transmission whatsoever since it is a mechanical governor. Even with an RE the only pressure the computer can monitor is the governor pressure. Line pressure is still mechanically controlled by the valve body.

Quick Reply: transmission issues. new to automatics.