2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wanting to add serious Performance to my 5.9 360 C.I V8 !!!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Well to clear this one up and say YA or NAY on it .................................................. ..

Yes Chevy rockers will work on the Magnum engines. If you do enough reading and cross referencing you'll find it. I am running Scorpion rockers on my build and am using a 1.65 on the intake and a 1.7 on the exhaust. I do agree that using the stock 1.6 ratio is a waste if your trying to build for performance.

I'll second and third HeyYou's suggestion on doing a 408 build. The Magnum block is easier than a Ford or Chevy to run a stroker crank and the kits are there for whatever
your wanting. It's the most bang for your buck as far as I am concerned and the only reason I did not do a stroker kit when I started to rebuild mine was a lack of funds. But when I do get the money I will be doing a stroker on my engine.

Now as far as heads go there are a lot of good ones available now so you have more choices than just the Edel aluminum ones. EQ and RHS both off steel performance heads that are better than stock Magnum heads. I have the 2.02 intake valves & 1.62 exhaust. In an article from Hot Rod mag from last year I think they said the RHS head out of the box could support 500 HP & then with some minor blend work your at 550-600 in no time.
The parts are out there they just don't try to spoon feed you like the Chevy and Ford stuff.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 07-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a 360 bare block last night at a local machine shop. I am probably going with the hughes 408 mid compression crank, rods, and pistons as well as the hughes intake and 1000 cfm throttle body. I will more than likely go with 1.7 rockers and a set of hughes cylinder heads 2.02 intake 1.620 exhaust and beehive springs as well as guideplates and and stud girdles. I have contacted hughes as to what cam to use with the supercharger and meth injection also as too what tuner/ who can tune it when it is complete. As long as pricing on this is in range i may be one step closer to a Nasty Ram !!!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Check out Hemifevertuning.com. (or something similar.) He can do custom tunes for whatever you toss together.

Did you look at the odessa heads? Half the cost of the Huges heads, for basically the exact same product.

1000cfm throttle body I think is going to be overkill.... Forced induction might take care of that though... I don't think you are going to have much bottom end until you start producing some good boost......

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, btw, check this tranny out:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

You're going to want these guys, homie.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Oh, btw, check this tranny out:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

You're going to want these guys, homie.
My transmission is built better than that already. Was built to withstand 600+ horsepower and it cost almost half that price with alot of the same parts. It also has a Detroit TrueTrac diff and 4:10's. 35x12.50x20 Toyo open Country M/T's and 20 inch chrome rockstars. Trans temp guage, Wide band 02 sensor with air fuel, MSD 6AL and blaster coil.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by atlaticblueram
My transmission is built better than that already. Was built to withstand 600+ horsepower and it cost almost half that price with alot of the same parts. It also has a Detroit TrueTrac diff and 4:10's. 35x12.50x20 Toyo open Country M/T's and 20 inch chrome rockstars. Trans temp guage, Wide band 02 sensor with air fuel, MSD 6AL and blaster coil.
Sounds good then.

Build a 408 and be done with it.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atlaticblueram
Explain.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ewwwww 20in rims lol

Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

yep, check out my build thread. im loving my motor! however, seeing how i have arp headstuds..... i may try to find a centri, for more power. i hand with the ford 6.2s. with that said... i can pretty much hammer down on all stock form hemis.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Well to clear this one up and say YA or NAY on it .................................................. ..

Yes Chevy rockers will work on the Magnum engines. If you do enough reading and cross referencing you'll find it. I am running Scorpion rockers on my build and am using a 1.65 on the intake and a 1.7 on the exhaust. I do agree that using the stock 1.6 ratio is a waste if your trying to build for performance.

I'll second and third HeyYou's suggestion on doing a 408 build. The Magnum block is easier than a Ford or Chevy to run a stroker crank and the kits are there for whatever
your wanting. It's the most bang for your buck as far as I am concerned and the only reason I did not do a stroker kit when I started to rebuild mine was a lack of funds. But when I do get the money I will be doing a stroker on my engine.

Now as far as heads go there are a lot of good ones available now so you have more choices than just the Edel aluminum ones. EQ and RHS both off steel performance heads that are better than stock Magnum heads. I have the 2.02 intake valves & 1.62 exhaust. In an article from Hot Rod mag from last year I think they said the RHS head out of the box could support 500 HP & then with some minor blend work your at 550-600 in no time.
The parts are out there they just don't try to spoon feed you like the Chevy and Ford stuff.
I will also throw my vote in for a 408 stroker with RHS heads... Killer combo, we built a rather mild 9.5:1, street cam, dual plane air gap, 1 3/4" long tubes, 750cfm carb, 408 that made 495hp/530tq with ease.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting to add serious Performance to my 5.9 360 C.I V8 !!!