2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wanting to add serious Performance to my 5.9 360 C.I V8 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
Explain.
Biggest piece of that puzzle would be the torque converter... Clutches are easy to get to hold more than any small block could ever dream of producing. The only shaft I could possibly see replacing with a billet piece, even though it's nowhere near it's 900ft-lbs torque limit, is the input shaft. Either way, PATC is making bank at $2500 for their level two; I can build and install them with fluid for considerably less than that.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Sounds good then.

Build a 408 and be done with it.
First off i am an ASE master Tech and rebuilt the Transmission myself so i saved the money on the labor. All parts were purchased through a friends transmission shop and purchased at cost. It has a sonnax billet accumulator piston, carbon fiber band, heavy duty intermediate band strut, oversize Intermediate Servo with Cover and the Power Wedge Intermediate Band Anchor, billet torque converter, shift kit. Also has new overdrive unit and a new valve body. It is basically the same as the viper trans, Only i Built it for close to $1500.00. I was told it should with stand 500-600 hp. I am simply asking about the performance parts because i have never built a High Performance Chrysler Small Block and do not know that much about the chrysler small block.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might start here:

eliminate the truck and year part out of the search, and just search for the engine size, make, and family...

like so:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/m...l-block-magnum

so you start to see cams, rockers, lifters, etc...

most parts for engines aren't usually directly advertised towards the trucks, because lets face it: most people don't build up engines for modern gasoline pickups, and most of the BUILT old timer pickups don't have the OEM engines in them anyway...they are usually running big block race engines...

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

There are some good books out there about hot rodding Small Block Mopar engines.

How to Build Big-Inch Mopar Small Blocks: Jim Szilagy: 9781613250129: Amazon.com: Books How to Build Big-Inch Mopar Small Blocks: Jim Szilagy: 9781613250129: Amazon.com: Books

How to Hot Rod Small-Block Mopar Engines: Larry Shepard: 0075478004058: Amazon.com: Books How to Hot Rod Small-Block Mopar Engines: Larry Shepard: 0075478004058: Amazon.com: Books

Your looking for the same types of performance parts that you would on Chevy or Ford. Dodge has it's own little tricks and the best way your going to learn most of them is to do searches online and read articles from Hot Rod mag, Car Craft, Mopar Muscle & others. That is how I have been learning and getting educated as I build my engine.

Once I have the funds I still plan on building a 408/426 stroker too. Hughes Engines has stroker kits, so does Summit, CNC Motorsports & many more. You can even go onto Ebay and get kits. You have a choice of Eagle or Scat cranks, pistons from whom ever you want, con rods the same.

For the top end you need to look at RHS & EQ for iron heads and Edelbrock for aluminum. It's your choice which style you go with. Both can be made to flow great.
So there really aren't any secrets to Magnum engine Hot Rodding.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put down the Chevy catalog and walk away

Flatlander Racing
Campbell Enterprises
Hipotek.com

The carbed 408 in my Dakota just put down 483 to the rear wheels using Chevy 1.6 rockers, I don't understand the infatuation with HS 1.7s.

You'll want a forged rotating assembly

Last edited by Adobedude; 08-08-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Chevy 1.6 rockers, I don't understand the infatuation with HS 1.7s.
Because it is a CHEAP (relatively speaking) bump on the 5.2 or 5.9 without having to open up the engine. It is like putting a new cam into your engine without all the hassle.

I know you know all this already.

Nice numbers on your 408. Any idea what a EFI 408 with a Air Gap or M1 would put down with like mods?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Because it is a CHEAP (relatively speaking) bump on the 5.2 or 5.9 without having to open up the engine. It is like putting a new cam into your engine without all the hassle.

I know you know all this already.

Nice numbers on your 408. Any idea what a EFI 408 with a Air Gap or M1 would put down with like mods?
Same motor made 411RWHP with a 58 TB and Mopar M1 intake with a SCT tuned stock PCM last year, it's making a lot more power with the 950 HP and a indy 360 intake.

I understand the 1.7s rockers, I have some for my 98 Ram, but if doing a rotating assembly, and rocker that fits will work as long as it's adjustable.

To the OP..The block is going to be the weak point, I'm probably close to 600 at the crank and that's where they seem to fail, although a few are way beyond that..Ya never know. I've never heard of a stock 360 crank failing, Eagle Cast cranks are junk, stay away from those.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

I like the stuff I am seeing here on this site. The numbers they show on their engines are real nice too. Do you have any experience with them?

http://performanceinjectionequipment.com/Home.html

Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
I like the stuff I am seeing here on this site. The numbers they show on their engines are real nice too. Do you have any experience with them?

http://performanceinjectionequipment.com/Home.html
I do, bought a few items from Chris and he was email tuning my 408 with a SCT. He nailed the WOT tune first time, but my cam and low vac was making hard to get it to idle, but I used his tune all year.

Chris knows his stuff, I highly recommend him.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Since this a performance 5.9 thread, here's the 408 in my Dakota.

Attached Thumbnails Wanting to add serious Performance to my 5.9 360 C.I V8 !!!-408.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wanting to add serious Performance to my 5.9 360 C.I V8 !!!