2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 5.9l gas shudders between 35 and 45 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM
RossHollar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I found the problem, after running for a while got engine code for misfire on cylinder 3. Upon close inspection, meaning I really looked, the spark plug ceramic insulation was cracked all the way down. Thanks for all the help and I am going to keep an eye on the intake plenum so I can fix that quickly if it goes bad. Thanks again for the prompt responses.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

God I love it when the fix is easy.

Enjoy!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

another quick tip...

Find a good respectable shop, possibly even the dealer, to check your camshaft for wear.

To do that, you need to pull your valve covers, remove your rockers one at a time as your testing, and then set up a dial indicator to measure cam shaft lobe lift. If you find the lift between various pushrods to be uneven, well, then you may have found your problem. The lift measured should be within 0.003 inches of 0.432 inches and if not, then the hardened surface of the cam shaft lobe has been worn through. That hardened area is only about 0.005 inches thick so if you have 0.003 inches of wear, you still have near half of the protective surface left for your engine to run with. If that surface is worn through however, then the surface, which is not hardened, will wear quickly and result in a lack of the truck's ability to open valves and allow gases to enter or escape the cylinders effectively.

This is something that will eventually lead to serious drivability issues, therefore it is advisable to measure the lift of your camshaft lobes to detect if that is your problem.

Last edited by Slomojo; 08-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Now that the truck is running well again, which I am very glad to hear you made possible through some simple troubleshooting, now your have to make sure that the issue that caused it doesn't return.

How tightly was that plug torqued down to? Was it installed by you or someone else? How old were your plugs? Is there something that got into the cylinder, or, even worse, more than one cylinder? Double check it out so that you can stay ahead of the misfiring curve.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 5.9l gas shudders between 35 and 45 mph