2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Lift needs a Rear Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM
ontimeanthony
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lift needs a Rear Lift

Ok, last year bought some TufTruck Heavy Front Springs to carry an 8' Plow. The springs did a fantastic job, leveled the truck, carried the plow, the only problem was the ride was terrible. I recently switched to SkyJacker 25Ds Soft Ride Springs. One problem created another. The ride is better but now the front-end is higher than the rear.
I would like to raise the rear easily and cheaply. I have 3" wide springs and was wondering if any has used the Hellwig Helpers springs to get a bit of a lift on the rear? http://www.hellwigproducts.com/produ...elper-springs/ I have seen posts of members using Hellwig but not too many mention of any lift.

I realize with the truck level in the front and rear that once I get the plow back on that the front may drop a bit but I would rather have a nicer ride at this point.

If the pictures take you to the link, I apologize. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TufTruck Springs

SkyJacker 25DS Softride

Last edited by ontimeanthony; 07-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a 2" add a leaf.

your 2500 should have no problem carrying an 8' plow. i have a 1500, and run an 8' plow. i also installed v10 springs, and the truck only drops about 3/4" when the plow is raised.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM
ontimeanthony
Rookie

Thank you for the response. The truck really did carry the plow well with the TufTruck Springs and sat level with the plow on or off. I was shooting for the best of both worlds, I wanted to bring the front end up level with a small lift (it wasn't with the stock springs) and also be able to carry the plow.

For the add a leaf's, don't you have to remove the springs from the truck or at least remove the u-bolts and take them apart? I am trying to avoid this as everything is a nice shade of rust under there.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

What do the helper springs look like? Just a wild guess here... but, I can see two possible problems with it.

First, you may have to disassemble your springs to install the helper springs anyway.

Second, the helper spring may only provide support when the bed is loaded...

If you drown the various bolts with the chem of your choice for a couple days before you actually try and take them apart, they become much more cooperative..... make sure to get a healthy amount into where the bolts pass thru the spring bushings as well, as they REALLY like to rust together.....

Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all you need to do is unbolt the u-bolts, and take out the center pin. its rather simple. took me less than a half hour to do both of mine, and all i had were jack stands, and a floor jack.

ON DIRT!

i live in NH, and have a crap ton of rust on my truck, and didnt need to use any penetrant.

a 2-3" aal will be your cheaper option.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 PM
ontimeanthony
Rookie

Hey You,

Here are couple pics of Helper Springs for reference. They just bolt to the top of the spring, gives you more payload capacity but not sure of they give you any lift?

Last edited by ontimeanthony; 07-28-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope, won't give you any lift at all, they don't start actually doing anything until you have a load in the bed. Of course, they don't make the ride worse when you are empty either.....

Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM
carid
Former Vendor
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Skyjacker makes replacement rear leaf spring kit with a 4" or 6" lift for Ram 1500 4 WD https://www.carid.com/2001-dodge-ram...495931341.html
Alternatively you can look at other lift kits for 1500 models that wouldn't require stacking of the blocks: https://www.carid.com/2001-dodge-ram...nsion-systems/

Old 01-31-2018, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Four and a half year old thread?

Quick Reply: Front Lift needs a Rear Lift