2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck stutters and RPMs go crazy after 10 miles at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
maniacripper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stutters and RPMs go crazy after 10 miles at highway speed

1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 Sport.

When I run down I95 at 70+ mph my truck starts to miss fire and my RPM gauge goes all over the place until I back off the gas, then it'll start back up when I get up to speed.

It doesn't violently lunge but it's pretty damn noticeable. I checked the plugs and they're fine. I've replaced the CAM position sensor twice before (last time was 3+ years ago) but both of those times it was because the truck would just die when the engine got hot, this is different. I hope it's not transmission related

I'm just looking on things to check myself before I bring it somewhere, I'm going to try to get a video of what it does today and post it so the problem is more clear.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Crank sensor? Clogging cat? Fuel pressure? How old is the dist cap?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM
maniacripper

I'm sure my cat is pretty clogged, I just pulled the pre-cat O2 sensor and it sounds like a banshee going down the street. I'm getting ready to take a few days off work and do the plenum so I should probably do the cat at the same time.

Anyone happen to know the easiest way to swap a cat converter with a sawz-all and no lift?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If your truck is 4x4, shouldn't be too bad.... if it isn't, jack up the front, and then support it on jack stands. (don't trust the jack, and I personally won't use ramps...... had a bad experience with them at one point.)

On yours though, you have two pipes going into the cat, and one coming out. I think some welding is going to pretty much be required, unless you pick up a direct-fit replacement, or a Jegs or Summit Off-Road Y-pipe....

When you do the plenum, replace the pre-cat O2 sensor as well. No easier time to get to the distributor cap either.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM
maniacripper

I will probably do this soon enough and be back with more questions, when I replace the cat I'll definitely go direct-fit because my welding isn't up to snuff. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Make sure the plenum is good before replacing the cat. Otherwise, you will end up replacing it again.....

Quick Reply: Truck stutters and RPMs go crazy after 10 miles at highway speed