2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting 1500 2wd questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Grath
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lifting 1500 2wd questions

I have a 94 Ram 1500 2by and I want to lift it a little so I can get some more aggressive tires for the fields here in WI and assist in driving out to quad riding locations that are a rough ride and tough to get to without a rig. I don't want to spend tons on a Fabtech kit, those are real pricey but from what I've read, real nice too. I came up with a solution like many have done to their 2wd Rams, I am thinking about putting on longer shocks with 3inch spacers and a 2inch AAL type rear lift. I was also thinking about a body lift just for looks and the option for massive tires since the lil 2by might have some problems when it comes to mud. Don't give me no "why would you lift a 2wd" crap, I've read enough of that on forums, its simply so I can haul a bit more without bottoming out in the fields and dragging the bottom end out so I have to pay for more than a simple lift would have cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251076082426
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170886282482

Now, since I am going 3" in the front with a longer shock setup and coil spacer, do I need the upper control arm to accommodate? I cant seem to find an answer for this from reading any forums. I know that with any spacer taller than 2" I will need a longer shock, which is why I want to do 3" with longer shocks to get the most. Will I need aftermarket control arms?

Also, will the front and back sit right if I go +3" in the front and +2" in the rear? Though I'm not sure with a 2wd if I would want the front end a lil higher if not even with the rear end for hauling. Any advice for the right combo would be appreciated.

And lastly, I am thinking about a body lift too. I'm not doing that hockey puck rigging that some people like to do since its so cheap, but I want the body lifted a bit too to achieve that look everybody wants and so maybe eventually I can clear some nice sized tires. How far could I go before its just stupid and pointless?

I am new to modding up trucks, I just want a nice rig to haul my quad around, and go into the woods to do some splitting and haul it all back. Maybe dig up some fields if I ever get bored. All advice and recomendations on how to improve this 94 would be great appreciated, I want to make this truck the nicest it can be, but without breaking the bank.

And no I can't sell it or trade it off, it needs to stay in the family as my great uncle whom first bought it brand new wanted.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to DF.

The whole thing about us tossing crap to the 2WD guys is sometimes warranted: it's more expensive for y'all to lift.

The option for the front you listed I believe will work just fine, however, it will put a ton of strain on your ball joints. This is why most 2WD guys that do more than 1.5-2 in put in longer steering knuckles.

As for the rear, you can't go wrong with an add-a-leaf however, having lifted the front 3 in, lifting the rear only 2 in will bring you level. Now, that may look nice, but it will suck for hauling a quad. You might also look at a factory lift block for a 4WD Ram as those trucks had 3 in lift blocks from the factory. That would bring it up, 3 in front, 3 in rear. Which would make it *** high, but won't let it squat as much when you're hauling.

Just 2 cents from a 4x4 guy.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Grath
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to save my ball joints, with the lift, I should use longer steering knuckles? Where exactly can I find those?

Also, how should I go about using a body lift. Not quite sure I wanna spend much on just a body lift, otherwise I would put in into the front end. Other than the hockey pucks, where can I find an affordable kit for a couple inches on the body?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Summit, Jegs, and a host of others sell inexpensive body lifts. Make sure you get one that comes with the bumper brackets if you go that route. (at least the front...)

If you go 3" or more on the front, you need to change the control arms. (I think on the knuckles, he was thinking something with relocated spindles.....) Otherwise, your b-j angles get weird, and they tend to break.... no fun at all.

Quick Reply: Lifting 1500 2wd questions