2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM fluctuates on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM
chappy.1028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
Great now it turned into a tcc discussion when its clearly all the symptoms of a a bad Throttle Position Sensor...there was a thread a week ago addressing this. I'm not trying to bust anyones ***** by being like this, but probability, symptoms & being the cheapest thing to fix first, all things point at the throttle position sensor as the issue to fix with about 99% confidence I can say this.

If you're on the highway and your torque converter lockup unlocks it will go higher than a measly 200rpm fluctuation because its trying to build torque rather than staying static at the 1 to 1 ratio with the transmission input, you'd be looking at least 500-600rpm difference if it were an actual tcc problem...whatever the difference is in the tach when you start out in first gear from idle to the truck moving, that's your unlock point reference baseline.

$35 TPS will cure it.

Example of a bad tps in this video...the guys description also said he fixed it by buying a new TPS.

Dodge Durango Idle Reving Problem - YouTube
my truck used to rev like that at idle and i replaced the idle control valve as well as the TPS and it fixed the problem but the freeway RPM fluctuations didnt go away. I think before i got the transmission rebuilt the Transmission torque converter clutch was bad because it would rev about 500 rpms on the freeway as i mentioned earlier. now the truck only revs about 200 rpms. So basically wat ive got from this forum is it could mean i got a bad TPS like others mentioned, or the Transmission torque converter clutch . But what about the torque converter solenoid?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Solenoid either works, or it doesn't. Control circuit might have some dirty contacts, or rubbed thru wire, but, that's about it.

Brake switch will also disengage TCC. If it is marginal, or not quite adjusted right, vibration might be enough to convince the PCM you are stepping on the brake.....

Quick Reply: RPM fluctuates on freeway