2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Junkyard 360

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junkyard 360

So I found a 360 out of an 01 1500 at the local junkyard. I was quoted $350 for the engine, flexplate, and pcm. The only thing wrong with the engine is a head is cracked. Is it worth getting the engine and buying new heads? (They have a R/T 360 out there I could get the heads off if they are good enough too.) If not does anybody know where I can get cheap priced heads and what kind of heads to get? BTW my auto teacher will only let me get stock heads, tho I may be able to throw those R/T heads on.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$350 for a non-running engine seems overly expensive.
for new heads, see Clearwater/Odessa on ebay or internet for about $600/pair.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Mopar01
If not does anybody know where I can get cheap priced heads and what kind of heads to get? BTW my auto teacher will only let me get stock heads, tho I may be able to throw those R/T heads on.
Don't get stock thin wall casting heads, get aftermarket thickwall castings. There's a set for sale in the Parts Sale section you might want to look at.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your auto teacher will only let you install "stock" heads... what a dick! youre going to let him tell you what to do with YOUR truck? its your truck, make your own decisions!!

Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
your auto teacher will only let you install "stock" heads... what a dick! youre going to let him tell you what to do with YOUR truck? its your truck, make your own decisions!!
That's the way it was when I was in HS too, and that was a long time ago.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Arde
That's the way it was when I was in HS too, and that was a long time ago.
when i was in highschool we were allowed to do whatever we wanted to as long as we supplied the parts. and that was back in 2007-2008. hasnt changed either.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

$350 does seem to be a bit high for a non-running motor. Not sure how many other options there are in your section of North Dakota - I'd shop around or you might try negotiating with the folks at the junkyard - state that the motor is non-running and requires significant repairs to be useable again - is that their best price for the parts?

Also, check the auto parts sections in your local craigslists - if you live near Fargo, Bismarck or Grand Forks, each of those has a craigslist. Search the auto parts section for 'Dodge 5.9' or 'Dodge 360' to find a used motor. If you don't mind pulling the motor out yourself, you should be able to find a running 5.9 magnum motor near that price range through careful shopping and negotiating..

Old 08-10-2013, 02:09 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

I've found that stuffs real expensive around here compared to what these other guys can get stuff for. Use this http://car-part.com/ to find an engine. I paid like 750 for my engine at the junkyard. If your gona rebuild the whole thing yourself i would get a junkyard engine, but if you can't you can get a short block or a long block at the machine shop. Here in Fargo I was priced like 1400 for a short block and 2400 for a long block.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Price seems high for the non-running motor but the PCM being a part of the deal helps. I'd see if they'd take $250 for it. After all, you'll have to buy loaded heads and gaskets to get the motor at least running. As of right now, the motor is scrap weight to them and a great foundation to start with for you...

I'd get this one cheap, replace the bad head(s), timing set, oil pump, plenum plate on the intake, full tune-up, and call it good! You'd be ahead of the game compared to buying a factory running engine for a similar price.

Here's a place I've heard about for rebuilt stock heads;
http://www.cylinderheads.com/

JT

Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
I agree. Price seems high for the non-running motor but the PCM being a part of the deal helps. I'd see if they'd take $250 for it. After all, you'll have to buy loaded heads and gaskets to get the motor at least running. As of right now, the motor is scrap weight to them and a great foundation to start with for you...

I'd get this one cheap, replace the bad head(s), timing set, oil pump, plenum plate on the intake, full tune-up, and call it good! You'd be ahead of the game compared to buying a factory running engine for a similar price.

Here's a place I've heard about for rebuilt stock heads;
http://www.cylinderheads.com/

JT
Sounds like a good plan - just don't forget to include removing and replacing the freeze plugs with deep cup plugs - size is 1-5/8" The freeze plugs in the heads are 1-1/4"

Quick Reply: Junkyard 360