2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driveline Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM
bjpomeroy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline Clunk

I'm going to attach myself to this thread because I really don't know what you guys are talking about. But I've been having what I think(hope) is a trans issue. Had my trans rebuilt about 12k miles ago, and have had it in the shop repeatedly afterwards. Thought it was fixed but now when it shifts into second, if I don't have my foot in it, it makes a clunking sound as it shifts. My trans is still under warranty, which is why I hope it's the trans and not the rear end. Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Breaking this out into it's own thread for you, as your problem is quite different. (and thread jacking is frowned on. )

Check for driveline slop. Especially U-joints. Put the trans in neutral, (block front wheels) and see how much you can turn it. Shouldn't go far.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be looking at the u-joints and the trans. mount.
Mine does something similar, and I think my trans. mount is suspect.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 PM
bjpomeroy
Rookie

I work this weekend, so I will have to do it next weekend. Being that I'm mechanically inclined but not that knowledgeable about how this stuff works. If I put the truck in nuetral, how do I check for slop, since I will be able to turn everything freely. Also, I don't know if this matters or not, ( don't know the technical name) but I have the rear end that when you spin one wheel forward the other turns in reverse.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You try turning the driveshaft back and forth by hand and observe what it does.

And you have an open rear end, basically under a limited traction situation, you're going to spin one tire more than the other.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
bjpomeroy
Rookie

Ok. I can probably do that before work on Saturday. I'll post my results. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Driveline Clunk