2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another plenum question, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
rtaylor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another plenum question, need opinions

Hey, need opinions my 99 2500 has 159k on it and I was wondering if its possible for one to run without the plenum being bad?? I do not have any codes and the truck runs great and no plug fouling so could it be possible that its still ok?? It uses oil, more when I am towing a load so this is what has made me think it could be bad and this is why its using oil??? Its funny that everything I have read says that usually they ping and foul the number 8 plug etc but mine runs great, I know that I need to look inside down the throttle body to see which I have not but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen, thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of the zillions of Plenum related threads, why must there be "Another plenum question"?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Oil consumption is one symptom, but, it could have other causes as well. Only way to know for sure is to remove the throttle body, and take a look around. Mine was so bad, all I had to do was crack open the throttle blades, and I could see pooling oil on the bottom of the manifold.....

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 AM
rtaylor
Professional

Thanks for the reply, I asked due to the fact that I am in the process of moving and using my rig to pull a trailer loaded and since there was no info in the current plenum threads related to my issue/question that is why I asked for opinions from other Dodge owners and as usual there is always a smart *** with some stupid comment, but Hey you thanks for your thoughtful response.........

Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Increased oil consumption when loaded could just a bad PCV valve.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Gaius
Veteran

At that mileage, I would pull it and replace anyway if you're planning on keeping it. It's not a very hard repair. Also a good time for the coolant bypass hose and thermostat anyway.

Quick Reply: Another plenum question, need opinions