2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auto to manual swap needed parts/services

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 AM
msummers61780
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual swap needed parts/services

Looking for all kinds of info for a trans swap on my 2000 ram 5.9 4x4.
Looking for info, parts, or possibly mechanics in my area to get or do a trans swap. Auto is giving me trouble, and its time to go.

I know I need a nv4500 or nv3500 trans, clutch pedal assembly with hydraulics, PCM, transfer case, drive shafts, interior trim pieces... If anyone has these parts for sale in the Akron Ohio area, or if anyone has done these swaps successfully, and would like to make a few bucks...I have some.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Manual flywheel
Pilot bearing sleeve
Pedals
Shifter
Hydraulics
Nv4500
T case
Driveshafts
Don't neccesaarily have to have a PCM, it'll just throw a lot of codes.
Theoretically you could have it "flashed" to a manual PCM

Oh yea and a manual crank sensor (supposedly you can use a couple washers on the auto one also)
Manual t case shifter

Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM
msummers61780
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks more like a list! Thanks

A few more questions..
If I was to order parts or get them at a junk yard, under what year/model would I look for to get those parts. What bell housing would work? A 5.2 flywheel different that a 5.9? Could I pull the whole assembly out of a 2500-3500 5 speed ram? If I do, I would need a different bell housing for the gas 5.9, how about the splines?
Are there any year rams or Chevys that I can direct swap? Or just change bell housing?
Can I use my existing transfer case in any scenario? If I can keep it under 2000 I'd be happy. I can always have the driveshafts made locally.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I think any pedals from 94 to 2001 will work, (up to 2002 on 3/4 or 1-ton trucks, sticking with 98 and up makes SURE they will fit though.)

Bellhousing are the same for all V-8s.

Diesel transmission have larger input/output shafts. It's possible to find a clutch that will work, but, a pain in the keester.

5.2 and 5.9 use different flywheels. They are NOT interchangeable. You MUST have the correct one for your motor.

No other manufactures will be a direct swap.

You should be able to use your t-case, and driveshafts. Might need to change the input shaft (hub?) on the case, as I think the manual version is a bit longer. Maybe.

Best bet is to find a donor truck, and buy the whole truck. Complete your swap, make sure everything is right, then sell what's left.

Quick Reply: Auto to manual swap needed parts/services