2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear door inop 1999 1500

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
rheckber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door inop 1999 1500

As I said in another thread, my son just picked up a 1999 1500 extended cab for cheap money. The truck has a couple of minor problems.

One of these is the rear passenger door will not open. (this is the front opening mini-door)
Looks like the latch at the top opens ans the top moves but the bottom seems stuck. We pulled the door panel off and removed the vent and see that the door rod is attached to a lever on the bottom of the door. The lever seems a little rust and will not move. Hosed it down with WD-40 but it still won't budge. The bottom latch assembly looks to be held on with 4 bolts I'm a little afraid to muck with them in case they break. Any ideas on opening the door? I might be able to pick up a jy latch but until I get the door open there's no way I can replace it. I did try gently prying on the door and tried using a big pry bar to gently pry up on the inside latch but it's frozen solid.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

WD-40 isn't going to help. You need something that will actually eat thru the rust. PB Blaster, CRC Freeze Off, Kroil, or whathaveyou. You can make your own with ATF, and Acetone. 50/50 mix. (can get both at wally world)

Quick Reply: Rear door inop 1999 1500