2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans fluid change

Hey Techs and everyone else, (2000 ram 1500 5.9)
I'm not sure what type of trans I have but I will find out. Is there a way to tell?
I'm planning to do a trans fluid change because its time for it. close to my 30k and would like to know if there are any tips or things I need to watch for ??

Last edited by GRed; 08-23-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

ATF +4 ONLY!

Get a drain plug too. Install that while you are in there. (make the next one MUCH less messy. )

If you can lay your hands on an inch pound torque wrench, adjust your bands as well.

Have at least six quarts of fluid handy. Keep in mind, you have to check fluid level in neutral, engine running. (set parking brake.)

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM
GRed
Professional

IOs adjusting the bands that hard?? or a matter of torqueing it down, and that doing that drain plug....is that tapping into the pan?? is that hard??

Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 PM
GRed
Professional

man that helps a lot..

Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
IOs adjusting the bands that hard?? or a matter of torqueing it down, and that doing that drain plug....is that tapping into the pan?? is that hard??
Adjusting the rear band isn't too bad, can be hard to find a socket to fit the adjusting nut though.

Front band adjuster is on the outside of the transmission, just about need a special tool and 3 arms to get it.

Drain plus is easy, get drain plug from auto parts store, drill correct size hole onto nice flat side (or bottom) of the pan, I did side, and install the plug.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM
GRed
Professional

cool... if I have doubt, I have a great neighbor that has lots of knowledge. and tools but I will weigh out that option for plug cause .might not have the truck much longer.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lots of good articles here.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-39.html

tips-
get a HUGE pan.
know that the level of the fluid is above the pan gasket, so when you loosen the bolts and crack the seal, it leak all the way around the pan. when that starts, put the pans under it and let the flood occur. after it drains down, then loosen all the bolts a little more and slowly tip down one corner. then i like to move the drain pans aside and put a floor jack under the pan, use all 4 of your hands to balance the pan on the jack, remove all the pan bolts, and lower the jack, and tip it over into the drain pan. don't bend your trans pan.
get the filter and gasket from Advance. they have a rubber gasket. i hate cork.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-23-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to start iam NOT a trans expert. but i did find a great EXTERNAL filter. i like it cause i think it will reduce the number of internal filter changes needed. NEVER use any thing but high pressure hose, and steel coolant lines. copper will NOT hold up. you will need to cut the return line to put the new filter in. i think the return line goes in at the rear left side, 3/8 dia tube. but double check for your self. this a copy past sorry.
man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size

Quick Reply: Trans fluid change