2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 dodge ram 1500 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 AM
brian.jhester
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I finally worked in the time to change the rear brakes and related items. I actually ended up doing rear brake replacement, power steering pump and pulley replacement, New valve cover gaskets, and other various sensors. But anyways, I replaced all of the rear brake hardware, New brake drums, New wheel cylinders, New heavy duty brake shoes, New rear brake lines(I found that the passenger line was crimped almost closed and figured it needed changed), and a new master cylinder and reservoir. When I took the old brake drums off I found a crazy mess of dirt and completely rusty parts, thusly why I felt it necessary for a complete overhaul. Everything went alright except the passenger drum took a good pounding from a sledge hammer before it would finally break loose! I got it all put back together and fixed everything else on the truck that was off and took it for a test drive and the brakes work wayyyyy better! They aren't perfect yet and I need to figure out the abs light because I'm sure that the abs is causing whatever brake issues are left, but the brakes are no longer difficult to press and the truck stops without so much effort! I can't for sure say what the issue was precisely, but it was probably the fact I had so much dirt and rust only rear brakes, but also the fact that one of the lines had been bent and probably was causing a problem getting pressure to my passenger brakes. Anyways hope this helped anyone, and I can post any pictures upon request if someone needs them

Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM
VARam1500
Amateur

I can relate to your two problems (low brake pressure and the brake+abs lights). Here's how: The last two times my wife used the truck, each of those happened. About a year ago, she was driving it, called me on her cell, and said the pedal went almost to the floor. The truck had lost the brake line over the fuel tank.

So then last week she drove it again. She called and said the brake+abs lights were on but it seemed to run fine. Sure enough, she gets home, I check it out, and no codes and no symptoms but the lights are on. I disconnected the battery and everything is back to normal.

My truck is a 5 speed. I suspect that she must have nearly stalled it once and that the moment of brownout/low voltage made the brake light come on (btw, it was on, but it was only about 70% of the expected brightness--if I pushed the parking brake pedal down the light got a little brighter!?!). I stalled it one time and it did something similar with the alternator light. Light was on, no codes, and I reset it by disconnecting the battery.

FWIT.

--VARam1500....

Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 PM
brian.jhester

Did you ever figure out how to get the abs light to stay off? Before I did the brake repairs, the abs and brake light would come on and stay on anytime the ignition was on, but after the brake change the brake/abs light only comes after about 30 seconds( truck doesn't have to be idling or driving, just power on). I can't get it to blink any codes for me and resetting the battery doesn't fix it. The brakes are a lot better and I have a firm pedal, but I'm wondering if the abs has a problem somewhere causing a slight decrease in braking?? I've already changed the speed/abs sensor too.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Two or Four wheel ABS? (got sensors on the front wheels?)

Old 09-20-2013, 12:45 AM
brian.jhester

It has 2 wheel ABS

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Check the brake switch (on the pedal), and also make sure your e-brake pedal is all the way up.

Key dance won't show ABS codes, and most parts stores won't read them...... (though, they might let you borrow a scanner, and read them yourself, if their scanners even have that capability....)

Other alternative is to take it to a shop that has a good scanner, and just pay them to read the codes. Would at least give you an idea of where to look.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 AM
brian.jhester

I'll definitely check out the brake switch, but if it's not that I'll probably take it to a shop or just live with it. The e brake is fully disengaged, and the light now just comes on at all different times(sometimes quicker than other times). Thanks for all the replies

Quick Reply: 97 dodge ram 1500 brake problem