2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Dif is this ? Limited slip or Open - Pics

Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 AM
dixonmusic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update 2

Going to rtv cover, fill with oil and additive and check dif today, afterward will check if grinding noise happens during forward gears also slow forward.

If grinding is also in forward what would that indicate ?

If grinding only in reverse what would that indicate ?

Also, I now remember there was some rev fluctations at idle at the same time i noticed grinding, havnt started up since as I will be methodically service brakes, front end, all fluids, joints, shocks etc , this will take time so if anyone can give me heads up about grinding/rev fluctuations that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, DD in SC

Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

While you have it up on the jackstands, spin things by hand. See if you notice anything you don't think is right. Everything should turn smoothly. If it feels crunchy, or notchy, you have a bearing going out somewhere.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:35 PM
dixonmusic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update 3

Cleaned out and refilled dif, went round block and around neighborhood (fast and slow, reverse and all gears), so far no leaks and no grinding. Did notice, whirring sound trans/back engine area and distinct heat/burning/cooked oil smell (haven't done oil or trans fluid changes yet, but both dip sticks look and smell good) Also noticed catalytic is very dark brown color almost burnt color and a lotta heat, rest of exhaust light brown...

Please chime in with any suggestions , as always, Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Dif is this ? Limited slip or Open - Pics