2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ahh Ticking Driving Me Crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you're getting oil up there. Stick a mechanical gauge on it and see what's really happening

Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Big Joe C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, Ima check it out this weekend and get back to ya.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where's the fun in that?

try accidentally sticking the metal rod into a fan once.......
try sticking the pipe into the fan belt and let it run into the alternator pulley and see if it goes all the way around and rips your hand off or if it hangs in the pulley and stalls the belt.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok ok ok this is too funny. first yout ems or "doctor" scope will work fine. my does anyway. second lucus makes and amazing thing called engine fix oil. its thick as **** but works well. drop the filter empty it fill it with that **** and put it back on. start truck if the ticking is still there well its not in the motor. next thing marvo mistory oil run a qt threw you motor and wind it up on the highway. not only will it move what ever it holding the lifter but also will help everthing else. next thing is this have a tappit style lifter some chances its a lifter is slim to none. more likelt a rocker arm is loose. and even if not well replacing the valve cover gaskets is a plus anyway. as for the exhaust save your ears and hands have a buddy cover the tail pipe it will **** from every hole in the exhaust system and your tick will go away. and remember all the dodge truck have through bolts in the manifolds so dont be afreid to tighten them a little. id also chech the coolent level you may have a water pump going bad and the fins are hitting the housing causing a ticking sound.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Big Joe C
Professional

Thanks for the info martin. And actually I replaced the water pump in January. The fan bearing inside started going away, and then one morning it finally decided to give out and all coolant just puked put the front of the pump haha. The fins were scraping the pump housing and it was totally different from this sound.

Hey also if I sea-foam it again, then wouldn't I easily be able to see where it's leaking in the exhaust system if any?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Yeah, that should actually work pretty well.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:13 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, that should actually work pretty well.
somebody may have come up with a new garage trick

Old 10-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

Pulled the valve cover this morning. None of the rocker arms were loose. Noise was coming from the back so I pulled the rear two rockers and push rods out. Nothing looked overly worn or messed up. Cleaned everything, rolled rods on glass and still straight. Reinstalled and re torqued it all. Had a buddy start it for a sec and they are all getting oil. So when this damn rain stops I'm put the cover back on with the new gasket. Then Ima run one thing of Marvel Mystery in it tomorrow. Keepin my fingers crossed!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

Pulled the driver side header...and I laughed at what I found. Got some good Felpro gaskets, problem solved. So remember kids, invest in good gaskets!

Last edited by Big Joe C; 10-15-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
80Adventurer150
Amateur

Originally Posted by Big Joe C
Pulled the driver side header...and I laughed at what I found. Got some good Felpro gaskets, problem solved. So remember kids, invest in good gaskets!
Sweet! sure beats replacing lifters or other shenanigans

Quick Reply: Ahh Ticking Driving Me Crazy!!!