2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID kit with dark headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit with dark headlights?

Hey guys, I've been thinking about upgrading my headlights as mine are pretty crappy. I've got the common yellow blurry lenses. I rode in a buddys chevy last year with HID's and I couldn't believe his visibility. He had stock lenses with a conversion HID kit which I don't really want because I don't want to be one of those drivers that blind everyone at night.

I really like the look of these darker lenses from k2motor but I know they don't have the HID projectors. With them being a darker tone and if angled correctly, could I get away with an HID kit?

http://www.k2motor.com/94-01-dodge-r...tor-black.html

I also found these:

http://www.k2motor.com/99-01-dodge-r...hts-black.html

They are a darker tone projector headlight. Will this work with an HID kit?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Some say it's a big no no to add hid's to regular housings, possibly illegal as well. Personally, I run hid's in my stock housings in my truck and my wife's Journey, both of which had absolutely horid light output from the factory bulbs. I don't have people flashing me and I really appreciate being able to actually see the road at night.

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-07-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Some day it's a big no no to add hid's to regular housings, possibly illegal as well. Personally, I run hid's in my stock housings in my truck and my wife's Journey, both of which had absolutely horid light output from the factory bulbs. I don't have people flashing me and I really appreciate being able to actually see the road at night.
Thanks for the info. Are you using stock lenses or aftermarket lenses with the stock housing?

Old 10-06-2013, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Lenses designed for the HID bulbs would certainly be best, and, considering yours need replaced in any event..... an upgrade sure seems like a good idea.

I bought replacement stock housings from LMC Truck. Headlights, side markers, mounts, and bulbs.... for 85 bucks for the pair. Light output was FAR superior to my originals. Doing the relay re-wiring trick also improves output. (even better than when they were new.) Just something to consider.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lenses designed for the HID bulbs would certainly be best, and, considering yours need replaced in any event..... an upgrade sure seems like a good idea.

I bought replacement stock housings from LMC Truck. Headlights, side markers, mounts, and bulbs.... for 85 bucks for the pair. Light output was FAR superior to my originals. Doing the relay re-wiring trick also improves output. (even better than when they were new.) Just something to consider.
The ones I am looking at are the projector lenses I'm just not sure if they are designed specifically for HID bulbs. Do you have HIDs?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I will say that I had some projectors on my daughters Mustang and I tried to put HID's in them and it was terrible. So I went back to the factory housings.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:36 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same as Heyyou. OEM style replacements and the relay mod. Made my truck look like brand new. I also tried to put some halos on my sister's F150. Could not get them adjusted and the light output was a lot less. She went ahead and got some oem style ones and she is happy . Just something to consider. Plug and play or mod it out.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

What is the relay trick if I may ask?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM
FFFD827
Professional

id like to know the re wire trick as well I just bought some new black lights for mine

Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I think it makes both filaments in the single bulb light up when you activate the high beams.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...light-mod.html

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: HID kit with dark headlights?