2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Future post from the op: My truck burnt to the ground today.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Why do you want your truck to be loud in the first place? You're going to get better performance with a nice throaty muffler on it. Your also breaking a few laws both state and federal. And as others have said you should plug the EGR tubes. It is not safe in many ways but if you want you can choose to ignore us. You came on here asking questions but it seems if the answer isn't what you want to hear you're going to argue with us.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the original question was about the muffler. I only use the truck for landscaping and will drive it once a week when not in use, and wouldn't mind rolling the windows down. I'm not arguing, I just don't agree that it is a bad idea. It's been like that for 8 months, and in the hot summer.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

It IS a bad idea.

it's an exhaust leak. Right in front of the passenger compartment. Breathing that is bad for you, and everyone else in the truck.

O2 sensor is going to be getting false information, the truck will not be running as good as it could.

You are venting hot exhaust gases directly at the cab. Get things warm enough, and something will burn. Given the O2 is more than likely seeing more O2 than it thinks should be there, it is going to run the engine rich. That will take it's toll on other parts of the motor as well. (the cat springs immediately to mind.)

Consider the results of a backfire on that bank..... shooting a nice flame into the engine compartment? Not a good plan.

You can disagree all you want, that does not change the fact that having a hole in your exhaust right there is indeed a VERY bad idea. Just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean nothing is going to happen. It's a CHEAP fix, just put a pipe plug in it. Less than two bucks.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedTruck
well the original question was about the muffler. I only use the truck for landscaping and will drive it once a week when not in use, and wouldn't mind rolling the windows down. I'm not arguing, I just don't agree that it is a bad idea. It's been like that for 8 months, and in the hot summer.
You asked a question on an open forum on the internet so on top of getting an answer to your original question your going to get added answers. Doesn't matter if you only drive the truck maybe once a month or once every 6 months, why do you want to drive a vehicle around that is LOUD and dangerous? Now I understand I was young once and had a 57 Chevy with headers & glass packs. That was it nothing more and I enjoyed it for about 3 months. Then I went and got a exhaust system installed and it was so much nicer.

I answered your question once but I'll answer it again.
Having a muffler & cat in your exhaust system is a good thing and your truck will run better with both installed. Having a leak in the EGR tube is BAD plain and simple. Now I will not tell you the EGR system is a good thing to have. Remove it and block off things PRORPERLY. If you really want that sound of a cummins I'll make you a recording and you can listen to it on your stereo that you can now hear because you fixed your exhaust.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

I understand that it is dangerous to have it unplugged. And yes it does backfire. It's the cheapest way for it to be loud. But I agree it is dangerous. What's your opinion on a single straight pipe going out the back with no muffler (and egr plugged).

Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

Also the two bolts for the EGR in the exhaust are frozen so I'm unable to remove them. Any method to removing them?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand that it is dangerous to have it unplugged. And yes it does backfire. It's the cheapest way for it to be loud. But I agree it is dangerous. What's your opinion on a single straight pipe going out the back with no muffler (and egr plugged).
You can run a straight pipe out the back not a problem there. You do know there is a good sounding open exhaust and then there is the one that most motor heads laugh at! That would be the one with the stock motor and no muffler. You will get better results using a nice sounding muffler like has been posted, don't be that guy that gets pointed to and laughed at for not using a muffler.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

I heard that dual exhaust isn't good for low end torque? So im guessing running one straight pipe off of headers to a custom muffler would be better

Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I heard that dual exhaust isn't good for low end torque? So im guessing running one straight pipe off of headers to a custom muffler would be better
Its all about pipe size. if you wanted to go duals, stick with 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe. (I think 2.25 would be better for low end.) Just make sure you put your O2 sensors in there somewhere.

Quick Reply: 5.2 exhaust