2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

white smoke burning coolant when downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Nortzy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke burning coolant when downshifting

so, when im downshifting in the truck, mostly when its hot i get a pile of white smoke, i just recently did the plenum with a hughes kit. it didn't do this for a couple weeks, it didnt burn oil or anything, now it is burning oil and coolant. im thinking head gasket but maybe the intake needs to be re torqued? just looking for some input. its a 98 ram 1500 4x4 318 5 speed.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Getting any coolant in the oil?

Almost sounds like an intake gasket is leaking. That would account for both problems.... but, the coolant passages are a good distance from the intake ports on the heads. I don't think you would "just" get burning coolant if that were the case....... but, not like I have never been wrong before.

Try re-torquing the intake, and see what ya get.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Nortzy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it's burning both, and i re torqued the intake manifold and had no luck. now i'm getting a code for p0067 air assisted injector circuit high. i dont even know what an air assisted injector is, is that just an injector? it's also cylinder 5 misfire.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I have no clue what an air assisted injector would be...... I have seen this code referred to on diesel engines...... or for air injection emissions control systems, but, I didn't think any of the 2nd gen rams even HAD air injection..... For that one, I think I would just clear the code, and see if it comes back.

I am thinkin' yer gonna have to pull the intake again. Sounds like one of your gaskets may have slipped.

Quick Reply: white smoke burning coolant when downshifting