2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Add a leaf noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Juvenator93
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add a leaf noise

Hey guys, it's the new kid again! I added a custom 3" front and rear skyjacker lift kit to my truck. I love the stance and added height as well as increased payload capacity! But recently I have noticed a pretty noticeable clicking, clunking, grinding noise coming from my rear end. I went and took a look at the diff and saw that pieces of the clutch pack from the LSD were sitting on the bottom of the diff. I have a warranty so I had the whole rear end rebuilt for only $100 out of my pocket! Well, I still heard that same noise. I took another look under the truck and was able to find where the noise was coming from! It is my add a leafs grinding against my factory leafs! The factory leafs have a little spacer in between them but the add a leafs do not. Has anyone else running add a leafs had this problem? Where can I get those spacers? Or do you guys know of another way of quieting add a leafs? Thanks guys!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:44 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

try to find a shop that works only on springs. they will have the parts you need. some tines the factory uses zinc inserts, but ill guess not now days. i have seen plastic inserts as after market. i will guess that any plastic will not work right.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:53 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldnt just get a piece of like 1/4 thick rubber and make one?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:25 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took an old 4L oil jug and cut some to size. it's at least as good as whatever junk the factory stuck in there.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
I just took an old 4L oil jug and cut some to size. it's at least as good as whatever junk the factory stuck in there.
I think I might go that route. Just cut to size and stick em between them? no type of adhesive or anything to hold them in place?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran

^Yea, with a hole in the center for the centering bolt. I slathered grease all over my leafs to deter water / salt so that kept them in place. When you tighten the centering bolt everything will be nice and tight anyway; imo no real need for adhesive.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

What about the ends of the leafs? I know the factory ones have like a shim at the ends. That's where I kinda think the noise is coming from

Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Somethings not right with this, grinding outta leaf-springs, they should not be sliding that much. Did you use the center pin bolt in the leaf pack? is the adal in the right order in the pack? Post up a pix so the leaf packs so we can see what's going on. The plastic jug idea is ok but if the leafs are moving to much it will just eat right through it.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran

Originally Posted by Juvenator93
What about the ends of the leafs? I know the factory ones have like a shim at the ends. That's where I kinda think the noise is coming from
Those pads require a mounting hole through the leaf:

Good luck drilling through the tempered and shot-peened steel, you'll probably re-sharpen a good drill bit 5-6 times before you're through.

Go to a spring shop and ask for some leaf spring liner. They'll probably cut you off a few feet for free. Looks like this:

I think I just stuck 3-4 inch pieces at each end of my AAL when I put it in. I`m sure you could use this stuff instead of a plastic jug for the center of the leaf as well. I'd suggest loosening the center bolt, greasing up each leaf on their interfacing surface and ensuring the bolt is tight when you put the pack together.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

I did use the new center pin bolts that came with the add a leafs, yes. I also put them in the right spot, first one after the overload... I never re tightened it though, seemed counter productive loosening the u bolts to tighten it. I re-torqued the u-bolts, shock mounts and sway bar bolts 500 miles after I installed the lift. Maybe grease the leafs, but some spring liner or plastic jug and re tighten the center bolts & u bolts? What should they be torqued to? The center pins, the u-bolts are 110ft-lbs right? I'll post pics when I get off work.

Quick Reply: Add a leaf noise