2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
bulldodgemoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a clicking sound

kinda hard to explain this one for me to even do a search.
but here goes.
i have a clicking sound under the truck. it happens when i go from reverse to forward. or forward to reverse. i sat in the drive way and shifted back and forth, back and forth to locate this noise. had the wife on the sides trying to narrow down.
what i do is place in gear, foot on brake, let go of brake while giving a little bit of gas, CLICK, roll forward about 1ft then stop. then place in reverse, give little gas, let go of brake slowly and CLICK. i was only doing this as a testing procedure in the driveway.
it will always do it with normal driving and like mentioned going from forward to reverse.
its a 4x4 and the front is not engaged, so to me its not the driveline.
i am kinda thinking the tranny area, as i cant get under it and have wife test it out by going back and forth. NOOOO not smart

thought maybe brakes, but its not coming from one side or the other. sounds like i the center. the u joints look good. didnt see any slop

Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd suspect the u-joints. When the rear one on the rear shaft went bad on mine there was zero play. When I went to change it the bearings were dust and non existent.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a single click? if so the u-joints could be the prob but if it was you would think it would be clickin the whole time its turning. if its a single click, id check to see if there is play in the output shaft.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
bulldodgemoe
Professional

its a single click. my thoughts still maybe the ujoints but i watched them as wife was in truck trying to make the sound and they looked solid.
but its sounds more front center area.
i will be doing the brakes this weekend. i will take a closer look.
i did pull the wheel off and found that thin brake holder almost all the way out, thinking that maybe it. but nope

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM
bulldodgemoe
Professional

bring this one up from the dead. found my clicking sound.
the transmission body mount bolts, 1 was loose, the other missing. so when i put in gear it put torque on the driveline and it would "lift" the mount up and then"click" the metals. the mounting plate and the skid plate etc.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

good thing u found it, better than runnin it over when it falls out.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by kejobe
I'd suspect the u-joints. When the rear one on the rear shaft went bad on mine there was zero play. When I went to change it the bearings were dust and non existent.
^^ This ^^

We had a ford truck that did the same thing years ago. The u-joint looked good from the out side, but the needle bearings had broken into pieces on the inside.

The part that sucked was we were on vacation at the time and over a hundred miles from home when this happened.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 AM
bulldodgemoe
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
^^ This ^^

We had a ford truck that did the same thing years ago. The u-joint looked good from the out side, but the needle bearings had broken into pieces on the inside.

The part that sucked was we were on vacation at the time and over a hundred miles from home when this happened.
that was for sure my first thought, but i jsut changed them out. as for the vacation, the wife and i are moving back to MN from florida so i am prepping the truck for the drive there and the SNOW!!

Quick Reply: a clicking sound