2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How To Properly Adjust Headlight's/Fog Light's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Properly Adjust Headlight's/Fog Light's?

I am installing a new passenger headlight in my truck, and going to see if the fog light's need adjusted, but what is the proper procedure on this? I know there are screws to adjust it up and down I believe under the headlight, but is there a left and right? And what is the ideal way to adjust them without having to go to a mechanic for the older type with the nubs on them.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The left/right adjustment is on the upper inside corner of the housing.

And to adjust them you need to be about 15ft from a wall.....but I don't remember what the distance from the ground the beams need to be....sorry.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Procedure is in the service manual, and with some tape, and a tape measure, it is easy. Took me less than 30 minutes to adjust mine up.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:10 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I can run this through my head and make sure I am right, to get a better image, pull close to a wall and mark the center of the vehicle, and the center of both the headlight beams, pull 25 feet away, and adjust them to either 2 inches above or below the center line of the center of the headlight?, and two inches left or right of the center line for left/right adjustment?

And Fog lights should be adjusted to where the fog light beam should be about 4 inches below the marked center of the fog light center line

Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Measure back from your wall 25 feet. Place a mark. Front bumper goes there.

Measure up from the ground to the center of your headlights, and distance between centers.

On your wall, find the center of your truck, put tape at the height of your headlights, all the way across. Run perpendicular lines of tape on the headlight centers. (paying attention to making sure you are equal distance from vehicle centerline.) Aim your headlights according to the FSM. (don't recall exactly where the bright spots should end up.... been a while since I did it.)

Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: How To Properly Adjust Headlight's/Fog Light's?