2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems after E-fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after E-fan Install

So I installed my e-fan. Love it.

However since installing it I've been having some weird problems with the truck. It could be a coincidence, but I don't like to believe in coincidences, so here is all thats been going on, put your thinking caps on

While installing, for a short time during the install during testing the truck decided to idle at around 2200 rpm. We couldn't find a cause and finally the problem corrected itself.
Currently while idleing the truck is only idling around 500rpm. throughout the idle problems the TPS has read 12.2 percent. It is still increasing normalling when driving now.

much bigger issue is that the transmission is slipping at highway speeds. after replacing the rear ABS sensor I don't slip quite so bad, but the truck is having trouble getting into overdrive. Now normally i'd say that the transmission is blown, but it only has around 10k miles on it at the moment.

I'm wondering if we managed to damage the the ECU when wiring up the fan? Currently the ignition sensor for the fan controler is wired into a light green wire on the harness on the left side of the firewall, but it took us a couple times to try and find the right wire.

Ok guys, thoughts?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM
generaljr
Professional

symptoms of bad TPS

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking you didn't disconnect the battery before jacking with the wiring. If correct, reset the PCM and see if anything changes.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by generaljr
symptoms of bad TPS
ditto

Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
80Adventurer150
Amateur

Originally Posted by MedicNathan
So I installed my e-fan. Love it.

I'm wondering if we managed to damage the the ECU when wiring up the fan? Currently the ignition sensor for the fan controler is wired into a light green wire on the harness on the left side of the firewall, but it took us a couple times to try and find the right wire.

Ok guys, thoughts?
You probably didn't damage the ECU, they are pretty tough. I've forgotten to disconnect the battery when swapping them and nothing bad happened. Not that I recommend it.

Anyway, not sure what that light green wire is, but I would put it back the way it was before replacing any parts. The additional load from your splice could be dragging down an important voltage. Just temporary connect the ignition sensor to the battery while you test it out.

Last edited by 80Adventurer150; 10-24-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 80Adventurer150
You probably didn't damage the ECU, they are pretty tough. I've forgotten to disconnect the battery when swapping them and nothing bad happened. Not that I recommend it.

Anyway, not sure what that light green wire is, but I would put it back the way it was before replacing any parts. The additional load from your splice could be dragging down an important voltage. Just temporary connect the ignition sensor to the battery while you test it out.
I agree with this find another power source.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Disconnected the fan, problem persists. Also reset pcm and attempted new tps. Tps is confirmed working correctly. Still nothing

Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 PM
generaljr
Professional

missadjusted or disconnected TV cable? is your O/D light on?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What temp sensor is being used for the controller? Any chance the stock temp sensor been messed with by accident? Break any vac lines by accident like the cruise control one that goes from battery all the way over to passenger side of intake manifold?

That's my thinking cap addition for today. lol

Can you further describe the idle change? Random? Only on startup? Goes to normal only after a flutter of the accelerator to wake it up kinda thing?

Quick Reply: Problems after E-fan Install