2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Fuel Economy Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 PM
bwl1960
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your 2wd also didn't have that nice heavy axle up front, or a t-case. Weight makes a big difference too.

Cooler air is denser, therefore, can carry more fuel, so, more power. Don't have to get into the throttle quite so hard for the same acceleration. The stock intake system isn't all that bad. A good, free-flowing filter is all you really need.

You should be able to grab knuckles and out, from another D44, to get your locking hubs though.
Yup. I have to agree. I have built a few of these engines and taking the hot air from under the hood is a power (IE MPG) killer. You can get a cheap washable filter that fits the stock box and works well. If you want more, change the tube from the fender to the box with a smooth one.

And the hubs. YES, grab some off another older d44. Works great.
And the hi-comp pistons will not get you much with out better flowing head, cam and better gas. 9.5 will keep you in the regular or reg + range and might be a little cheaper. One thing for sure if you can. Change the cam to the smallest one that HUGES Engines sells for this engine. HUG SER0814ML-14. It's $200, but well worth the price. Dodge put the smallest cam in these engines they could and have it still run. They are being strangled by the cam.
This would net you the best torque/mpg from your build.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally finished building my engine after 3+ years!

And dropped it in the truck!

There's a lot left to do, but this is a milestone.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:21 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Congratulations, looking forward to a fire up video and drive.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! I like the color scheme on your engine! Hope it fires right up for you!

Old 06-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Accidental post

Last edited by Big Green 360; 06-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Thanks, I'm pretty excited about firing it up for the first time. I'll try to post video.

On another note, I was reading back through this thread and came across some posts by a troll (who I hope has been removed by now) wherein he claimed that I was trying to pass off oem heads as Hughes iron heads ?? or something to that effect , and was rather nasty about it. Not sure what the point of passing off oem heads as Hughes iron heads would be anyway -it's not like I'm selling them.

Originally Posted by stands2p
those are not hughes iron heads those are oem heads but good try passing them off as hughes heads.interesting that none of the experts noticed that they are not the heads you say they are.its the diff between $1000+ heads
and a $100 set that you say your porting.
lol hughes are eq heads and all ways have been.eq's have larger runner so the water passages had to be redesigned thus lol eliminating the freeze plugs.in the first pic the freeze plugs are clearly visible thus lol not hughes.theres much more but ill leave it for now.

The first picture in my last post shows the ends of the cylinder heads. And here's a screenshot of my invoice from Hughes showing that I paid for Hughes iron heads.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about firing it up for the first time. I'll try to post video.

On another note, I was reading back through this thread and came across some posts by a troll (who I hope has been removed by now) wherein he claimed that I was trying to pass off oem heads as Hughes iron heads ?? or something to that effect , and was rather nasty about it. Not sure what the point of passing off oem heads as Hughes iron heads would be anyway -it's not like I'm selling them.

lol hughes are eq heads and all ways have been.eq's have larger runner so the water passages had to be redesigned thus lol eliminating the freeze plugs.in the first pic the freeze plugs are clearly visible thus lol not hughes.theres much more but ill leave it for now.

The first picture in my last post shows the ends of the cylinder heads. And here's a screenshot of my invoice from Hughes showing that I paid for Hughes iron heads.

Don't even worry about stands2p. He was just a troll, and was banned quite some time ago.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

It's alive!!!!

I started it for the first time since rebuilding the engine. It fired right up and ran smoothly with no problems. Good smooth idle at 800rpm, too. I have to thank B&G Performance for tuning my PCM; they obviously did a great job.

Here's a video clip of after the engine got up to temperature.

trim.C6B142A4-D61F-49ED-BF70-C0213D529D35.MOV

Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Awesome. Now, need to drive it for a while, and see how your fuel economy goes.

Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Tboned
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that smile...congrats!

Quick Reply: 5.9 Fuel Economy Rebuild