2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Fuel Economy Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:22 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselvette
Big Green 360 thanks for starting the thread and posting your progress, I am new here and stumbled upon it while hunting for some other info. It's cool to see there are more people in the world with the wherewithal to even draw up such an animal. I am considering a similar build later this year for my 3/4 ton and I'm wondering how things are going for you.

Back in the 90's after reading some of David Vizard's books I built an "experimental" Ford 351W with the same goals in mind...good low-end power so the motor is in it's "sweet spot" a cruising speed = better MPG (about 10.5:1 CR, roller rockers, flat-top pistons, edelbrock intake & carb, and the right cam) and dropped it in a '83 Crown Victoria. I also didn't want to run premium fuel (I ended up needing minimum 89 non-ethanol, was hoping for 87 but couldn't quite run it). That engine had really good power where it needed it. Peak HP was probably nothing to brag about, but who drives around at WOT-redline-the-tach anyway? It easily pulled over 20 MPG, anywhere from 55 MPH roads or running 85 MPH across South Dakota on I-90. That was an interesting project, and what I have since decided is having a diesel for occasional heavy towing is fun, but way overrated (and very expensive).

So my goal for a 3/4 ton 4wd pickup would be low-end towing power, and with the EFI and electronic timing I think 15 MPG should be "easy" to dial in.

Once again thanks for posting your build, keep the posts coming and let us know how it turns out!
15mpg isn't hard in these trucks. 60mph I get that and most of my power is above 3k lol

Old 02-18-2016, 06:18 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dapepper9
15mpg isn't hard in these trucks. 60mph I get that and most of my power is above 3k lol
Same here, mileage-wise. I don't often see flat ground, and even less often flat ground with no wind, but last time I did I got 15.91MPG at 65MPH over the course of about 110 miles down around 3,000 feet in elevation. That was with my wife and I in the cab and a few hundred pounds in the bed, rolling on 265's.

I should be doing better than that now, but it'll be a while, maybe even a long while, before I see flat ground again, and even longer before I get down that low again. In order to get to that thicker air I have to go where the rabid badge monkeys are hunting for folks like me, so I'm not really keen on going there. I don't like those guys at all and don't care to meet them.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My build has again slowed down due to time constraints, but I'm almost done porting/polishing the heads and will post before and after pics. I think you guys will be impressed. After that it's just reassembly and tuning.

As far as smaller diameter long tubes. . . from the exhaust engineering I've read, the most important factor by far is diameter, with length a distant second. Diameter must be properly matched to the exhaust speed and volume exiting the heads. Too large and you lose velocity and thus efficiency. Too small and you lose volume handling ability. There is not a long tube on the market that is small enough diameter to properly match the flow characteristics of a relatively conservative street build. If you could get long tubes in 1.5" diameter, there is no doubt they would outperform the shorties as you are moving the first pipe junction farther away from the ports which helps with pressure reversion waves.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding a potentially useful data point: My truck ran either side of 6,000 pounds before, depending upon how much fuel was in the tank, and I just added about 250 pounds of bumper. I just did a round trip to Steamboat Springs and got 15.09 MPG for the trip.

The headers and e-fans seem to have made a fine difference. I'm also using overdrive now where I couldn't before, so yay.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:38 PM
dapepper9
Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
My build has again slowed down due to time constraints, but I'm almost done porting/polishing the heads and will post before and after pics. I think you guys will be impressed. After that it's just reassembly and tuning.

As far as smaller diameter long tubes. . . from the exhaust engineering I've read, the most important factor by far is diameter, with length a distant second. Diameter must be properly matched to the exhaust speed and volume exiting the heads. Too large and you lose velocity and thus efficiency. Too small and you lose volume handling ability. There is not a long tube on the market that is small enough diameter to properly match the flow characteristics of a relatively conservative street build. If you could get long tubes in 1.5" diameter, there is no doubt they would outperform the shorties as you are moving the first pipe junction farther away from the ports which helps with pressure reversion waves.
THIS. Hence why I would never recommend Pacesetter longtubes to any build short of stroker. Can get Spintech MidLength headers though that have 1.5" primaries

Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by dapepper9
THIS. Hence why I would never recommend Pacesetter longtubes to any build short of stroker. Can get Spintech MidLength headers though that have 1.5" primaries
A magnum needs to breath, the 1-3/4 Spintechs are the best you can get...Don't waste your time on 1.5" diameter pipes.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
A magnum needs to breath, the 1-3/4 Spintechs are the best you can get...Don't waste your time on 1.5" diameter pipes.
Depends on what you want. If you want the low-end grunt, then the 1.5" primaries are the way to go. If you want your power up top, then larger diameter is where ya wanna be. There just isn't a 'one size fits all' application here.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Depends on what you want. If you want the low-end grunt, then the 1.5" primaries are the way to go. If you want your power up top, then larger diameter is where ya wanna be. There just isn't a 'one size fits all' application here.
The low end grunt for what..Power at 1000 rpm? Who needs power at 1000-2000 RPM?

I tow my Dakota with my 5.9 gas Ram, where I need power is 3500+ rpm, like trying to get up to speed on an entrance ramp,

I think a bigger primary will suit most people so they are making more power in the mid range where you need it. Granted not everyone needs 2" primaries like I have on my Dakota, but 1.5" is a straw. why kill the mid to top end range for the small amount of time you're poking along needing power?

My Ram is getting 1-3/4 Pacesetter LTs, 1.7s and a M1 2bbl, for the reasons I stated above, towing. Installing 4.10s (which I won't because I tow at freeway speeds) will move the power band up so even more need for bigger primaries.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The low end grunt for what..Power at 1000 rpm? Who needs power at 1000-2000 RPM?

I tow my Dakota with my 5.9 gas Ram, where I need power is 3500+ rpm, like trying to get up to speed on an entrance ramp,

I think a bigger primary will suit most people so they are making more power in the mid range where you need it. Granted not everyone needs 2" primaries like I have on my Dakota, but 1.5" is a straw. why kill the mid to top end range for the small amount of time you're poking along needing power?

My Ram is getting 1-3/4 Pacesetter LTs, 1.7s and a M1 2bbl, for the reasons I stated above, towing. Installing 4.10s (which I won't because I tow at freeway speeds) will move the power band up so even more need for bigger primaries.

Just put 4.10s in it. Why bothering towing anything without them.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:28 PM
dapepper9
Veteran

I mis-spoke. The spintechs don't come in 1-1/2, instead it's actually only 1-3/4 unless you get the longtube Dakota headers and they'll have clearance issues. Pacesetter is only longtube available in 1-7/8 for the rams.

I have the 2bbl m1, 1.5" JBA shorties, and a 52mm tb and the powerband is strong throughout. Good down low and up high and everywhere in between.

Last edited by dapepper9; 02-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Fuel Economy Rebuild