2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Flush Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Trentjh97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Flush Advice?

I have a 97 dodge 1500 4x4 sport 5.9L automatic. I use this as a woods truck and it was sitting stuck in a hole for a hour with the tranny underwater and the motor idling. After being pulled out tranny would make a tick as you put it in any gear... drive, reverse ect but it would not move at all and it is full of dirty water. How can i go about flushing this and is there anything else i need to know that i am unaware of?
Thank you

Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trentjh97

....was sitting stuck in a hole for a hour with the tranny underwater.

...would not move at all and it is full of dirty water.

...is there anything else i need to know that i am unaware of?
welcome to df, you are unaware that your transmission is likely shot.
if you want to work on it, and possibly waste $100, then immediately, as in now, not tomorrow - drop the pan and drain all the fluid.

get a case of 12 quarts of ATF. you should use ATF+4, but its expensive at about $7/qt, maybe $5-6/qt in walmart brand. you could use plain old dexron for this, since its probably a waste of time and money anyway.

install a new filter and pan gasket. refill pan with about 6 quarts. disconnect cooler line at radiator and use a hose to pipe it into a bucket. with a good grip on that hose and bucket, start engine and shift to neutral to engage the pump and pump out about 3-4 quarts of fluid/water/mud. shut off engine, refill, repeat several times.

refill your last 2 or 3 times with the proper ATF+4 and hope for the best. its probably too late to save it.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

It's time for a rebuild.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's time for a rebuild.
Yeah I agree. I believe i read somewhere that water destroys the adhesive for clutch material?

EDIT: Found this http://quality-trans.com/faq/water-i...mission-flush/

And from this page http://www.httrans.com/consumer_info.htm
Antifreeze and/or Water Contamination
Antifreeze and/or water contaminated transmission fluid will causes friction material breakdown and lip seal degradation. The binder (Glue) in friction materials will dissolve causing friction material to flake off. Automatic transmission fluid contaminated with antifreeze and/or water will look very much like a "strawberry milkshake". Just changing the transmission fluid is not acceptable. Friction material and seals that have been exposed to antifreeze and/or water, even for a short period of time, will eventually be damaged. The torque converter cannot be completely drained, so contamination would still be present when the remaining fluid circulates through the transmission. Most late model converters also have a clutch lining (friction material) on the inside of them, so converter replacement is mandatory.
If transmission fluid is contaminated with antifreeze and/or water:
  1. Locate the source of the leak and repair or replace the radiator as necessary.
  2. Replace the transmission or transaxle, or completely overhaul, including ALL internal and external seals, ALL friction material (clutches, bands, etc.).
  3. Replace the torque converter as it contains friction material that MUST be replaced.
  4. If the water contamination was from a flood or any external source, it will still need replacing or rebuilding.
And here number 96. http://www.agcoauto.com/odfaq/index.php?cat=31#a300

Dave

Last edited by xjarhead69; 10-28-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Trentjh97
I have a 97 dodge 1500 4x4 sport 5.9L automatic. I use this as a woods truck and it was sitting stuck in a hole for a hour with the tranny underwater and the motor idling. After being pulled out tranny would make a tick as you put it in any gear... drive, reverse ect but it would not move at all and it is full of dirty water. How can i go about flushing this and is there anything else i need to know that i am unaware of?
Thank you
As stated. You ruined the transmission.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
fromthisdesk

Seafoam has a tranny clean solution that you could pass through prior to the draining of the fluid that may help but I agree, sounds like a rebuild/replacement.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 PM
BlindU
Rookie

where are you located? I know a guy in northern baltimore, MD whom totalled his truck, but has a newly rebuilt transmission with less than 2K miles on it. when I spoke with him, he wanted a few hundred for it.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Trentjh97

Thanks for all the info... When I purchased this the owner had dodge rebuild the transmission since then maybe 2k miles were put on it. I got this at a low price because soon after he did the transmission he snapped the axel and couldn't afford to fix it and needed the money. I will try to flush it and if it doesn't work then the block may be used for another project and scrap the rest. Talk about a mixture of bad luck and stupidity.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience is generally the result of bad judgement.

It happens. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Tranny Flush Advice?