2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another issue... leaking inlet tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM
BlindU
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another issue... leaking inlet tube

so while doing work underneath my Ram, coolant kept dripping down. I looked at the inlet tube, it looked wet, but for some reason i didn't think it could be that easy. Took it to a local gas station, they put it up a ramp, showed me the trail of coolant that came from the inlet tube and was dripping down, 100% just the inlet tube.

I bought a new one, and replaced it. the mistake I did was that I did not drain any of the coolant, and my guess is that it didn't seal properly at all, as it leaked even worse than with the old inlet tube. when I looked at it, the O ring actually ripped. I put the old O ring that was on before (i changed it 2 months ago when I did the plenum) and I put a bunch of black RVT sealant on the tip of the hose, hoping it would seal properly. now before I put the RVT, i drained the coolant, so that it would have a nice dry hole to seal against. in the morning, i will be adding coolant and praying that there won't be a leak.

if there is though, what can I do besides cuss at it about 150 words a minute?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had used rtv on one of mine before, worked like a champ. i suppose you could also jb weld it in place but u wouldnt be able to get it out anymore lol. maybe try a thicker o-ring

Old 11-02-2013, 02:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I used a dremel on the hole in the water pump, and smoothed the edges a bit. Made inserting the tube MUCH easier, and it didn't destroy the o-ring when I inserted the tube.

Quick Reply: Another issue... leaking inlet tube