2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heat problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLRAM
Yes the heater core could be stopped up, And if you have to change the heater core out, I have a lot easier way...first time less than 30 minutes. PM me ,if enough want it I will post a how to. I have changed out about 20 of them for friends.

Is the "BULL" part of your username indicative of your statement?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Luigi1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha nice! Yeah I was curious about that too!

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Is the "BULL" part of your username indicative of your statement?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

heater core in 30 minutes? I could see that on a truck that the dash has disintegrated enough that you don't have to remove it...... but that's about the only way. Would be real interested to hear your method. Post it up.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
BULLRAM
Veteran

I raise Pitbulls
Cars have been using heater hoses for years to go into the firewalls of vehicles, the firebird 79, goes into the firewall and attaches to the heater core itself, in saying that , the method involves removing all the top screws of course, and loosening the 2 main dash screws on each side at the far bottom left and the far bottom right dont take them out just loose, the dash will actually swivel down towards the seat. the steering wheel needs to be down all the way, when you do that you can see the heater core and the tubes, you cut the tubes with a hacksaw blade ( I now use a dremel its faster )right there in front of you, remove the small metal bracket that holds it in and slide it straight up and out.....I have pulled out MANY of them, to re- install you need 2 pieces of hose about 3 or 4 inches long, and 4 hose clamps you cut the new one at the same spot you cut the old one, it doesnt have to be perfect, slide the heater core back in and hook up the tubes, I have pulled many by removing the dash and all its components, (takes a while )but this way is a lot easier . I am going to do this very thing in a week on a 2001 and can take some picture of it if you want, to show how easy it is, just think if it leaks again how easy it will be to change out. Also if someone wanted to show or tell me of a quicker way of doing something , I would let them...

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by BULLRAM
I raise Pitbulls
Cars have been using heater hoses for years to go into the firewalls of vehicles, the firebird 79, goes into the firewall and attaches to the heater core itself, in saying that , the method involves removing all the top screws of course, and loosening the 2 main dash screws on each side at the far bottom left and the far bottom right dont take them out just loose, the dash will actually swivel down towards the seat. the steering wheel needs to be down all the way, when you do that you can see the heater core and the tubes, you cut the tubes with a hacksaw blade ( I now use a dremel its faster )right there in front of you, remove the small metal bracket that holds it in and slide it straight up and out.....I have pulled out MANY of them, to re- install you need 2 pieces of hose about 3 or 4 inches long, and 4 hose clamps you cut the new one at the same spot you cut the old one, it doesnt have to be perfect, slide the heater core back in and hook up the tubes, I have pulled many by removing the dash and all its components, (takes a while )but this way is a lot easier . I am going to do this very thing in a week on a 2001 and can take some picture of it if you want, to show how easy it is, just think if it leaks again how easy it will be to change out. Also if someone wanted to show or tell me of a quicker way of doing something , I would let them...
In other words, you've NEVER changed out the heater core in a Second Gen or later Ram pickup.

Here's the heater core write-up from the DIY Section of the forum: Heater Core Replacement.

Let us all know how you felt after that "quick, 30 minutes" turned into a 3+ hour job.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM
BULLRAM
Veteran

Let see, when I worked at the dealer I changed out MANY of the heater cores , by pulling the dash, all the components, and the heater /air box, it takes a while, which i stated in my post how you dont get that is funny, it right there...I own 2 second gens, and a 4th Gen now, YES I have changed them out the other way, no one can show a different way to do it??, If it takes you 3 + hours to do what I am talking about you do need to stop... I have done plenty new Fords, 4th GEN dodges , lots of Chevys,( the pull the air box way), so maybe I havnt

Last edited by BULLRAM; 11-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary-L
In other words, you've NEVER changed out the heater core in a Second Gen or later Ram pickup.

Here's the heater core write-up from the DIY Section of the forum: Heater Core Replacement.

Let us all know how you felt after that "quick, 30 minutes" turned into a 3+ hour job.
I second BULLRAM on this. Swivel dash down and ****** it out. I'd say more like hour instead of 30 mins, but it is possible. I'm a mechanic by trade and this is my 2nd ram

Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend

The labor guide books say you guys are wrong, and an hour is still a stretch even for a pro.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Few folks have done it that way, and just bent the tubes around to reinstall the core, without having to hack up a brand new part, and leave hose clamps somewhere that if they start leaking, they are a pain to get to. I really don't think that is a good idea. (and I have been wrenching for decades.)

Pulling the box is actually a GOOD idea, as it gives you the opportunity to inspect and clean everything in there. And for those with A/C, can change the evap core as well.... (as they are notorious for leaking too....)

Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Few folks have done it that way, and just bent the tubes around to reinstall the core, without having to hack up a brand new part, and leave hose clamps somewhere that if they start leaking, they are a pain to get to. I really don't think that is a good idea. (and I have been wrenching for decades.)

Pulling the box is actually a GOOD idea, as it gives you the opportunity to inspect and clean everything in there. And for those with A/C, can change the evap core as well.... (as they are notorious for leaking too....)
I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm just stating that it is possible. Now if the heater hoses are corroded to the tubes, that throws the hour estimate out the window.

Quick Reply: heat problems