2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

runnin a little hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I was going to say the same thing HY. Could be an air pocket or even a few of them and as said already you just need to run it for a while.
One other trick is to raise the front of the rig to help burp the air out.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Dominicsansone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
What does the lower hose feel like? It should be significantly cooler than the top

it is slightly cooler

Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Dominicsansone

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Might just be air as well. Drive it for a bit. let the engine get nice and warmed up. (but, don't overheat). Let the thermostat cycle a few times. it should straighten itself out.

I did that n cycled out the air didn't help it that was my first thought, ran it for a while shook it and squeezed on the hoses till no more air bubbles

Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Dominicsansone

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
assuming you have new coolant in there, drain radiator to save it. flush block with water hose, either from from the top through the tstat hole or through the bottom radiator hose. make sure clear water is coming out both sides, not just one. i don't think running the engine would do anything different from putting the hose in it for several minutes.

if this doesn't help, you should investigate the possibility of head gasket problem. like arde said, temp should not spike up. it should just heat up to the 195 target and simply hold there.

another question- from a cold start, with radiator cap off to relieve any possible pressure build up, does the temp spike up to 220, or act more normal. this would be evidence of compression leak.

with cap off it still goes up to just over 200 n stays the same

Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Dominicsansone

Originally Posted by Arde
Sounds like your thermostat isn't working properly. It shouldn't be going to 230 before it opens. Put a Stant superstat in there and see if that doesn't help.

its a cheap one from advance so I was thinking maybe its faulty even tho its rated at 190, ima flush my motor later like dhvaughan said n see wat that does if not change the tstat n maybe fan clutch

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Dominicsansone

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Hate to say it but you most likely blew a head gasket or cracked a head when it got hot while towing. Also is your plenum leaking? Are your O2 sensors working correctly?

plenum isn't leaking and im not sure on 02 sensors, no smoke at all tho wouldn't that be showing if I had a head gasket problem? no ticking or knocks either?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Replace the stat when you do your flush. if it was a cheap stat.... might be the whole problem right there. Plus, being able to put the hose right in that hole gets you some good flow thru the block to flush out the junk.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:42 AM
bjpomeroy
Rookie

Check your fan clutch. Had a similar problem, my fan clutch and a small leak at the water pump ended up being the problem. Leak was so small it never made a puddle, but was enough that I had to add coolant every week.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM
97r/tram
Veteran

From my experience with the parts store brand tstats, they don't run the optimum described temperate ever. I've had better luck with stant's. They all say motorad or murray on them. The parts stores get the factory seconds built cheaper.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Dominicsansone

I took out the drain plugs n flushed the system for about 10 mins, refilled coolent n it didn't help ****. So I replaced the fan clutch since aamco told me mine was bad thought maybe that was the issue but that didn't do anything either. After I Installed it it ran at 190 for like a minute then shot up to 250 then went back down to 210 so idk ima get a stant tstat n maybe that's the issue, everything else is new (water pump, radiator, tstat, n now fan clutch) n all hoses are good with no leaks anywere so if that's not it I think I have a much bigger problem.

Quick Reply: runnin a little hot