2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

runnin a little hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Recheck your coolant level. Sounds like the temp spike was an air bubble working its way out. (that is standard behavior.) If you decide to change the stat again, drill two 1/8th inch holes in it before installation. (this allows some small amount of bypass, and lets the air bleed out without roasting the engine.)

Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Dominicsansone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Recheck your coolant level. Sounds like the temp spike was an air bubble working its way out. (that is standard behavior.) If you decide to change the stat again, drill two 1/8th inch holes in it before installation. (this allows some small amount of bypass, and lets the air bleed out without roasting the engine.)

I thought so 2 but it does it random when drivin every now n then maybe just gotta work out some air, I ordered a jet performance tstat at 180 ima put that one in n see, were u drill the holes at just anywere it doesn't screw it up ?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pretty much. Somewhere in the flat area that doesn't move.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Dominicsansone

is it possible to run without a tstat at all? I mean I don't use heat at all n I live in Florida so does it matter or will it screw it up just wondering been reading a bunch of other **** online

Old 11-29-2013, 08:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, you can run w/o a t-stat. it won't hurt anything.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
yes, you can run w/o a t-stat. it won't hurt anything.
I agree that you can run without one, but, it will beat the crap out of your fuel economy, and the PCM may or may not set a code..... The engine will never be efficient that way. (well, at least, not as efficient as it could be..... somehow, the words "efficient" and "dodge ram" just don't go well together. )

Old 11-30-2013, 11:44 AM
DerekW

My guess would have been the thermostat you purchased isnt right ive got bad ones more then once. I always test them before i put them in. You usually can leave the cap off and when the thermostat opens you can see the water circulating through the radiator. That rules out air bound system usually and i ad fluid to cap it off whileit circulating. I wouldnt run my engine with out a thermostat i don,t feel it allows the transfer of heat from your engine to coolant very well allowing our engine to run hotter. I have run them with out and some knock and usually get poor performance and fuel millage. Hopfully changing the thermostat out again will do the trick if not my guess is head or gasket.. Good luck..

Quick Reply: runnin a little hot