2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4WD Vacuum Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024 | 01:01 AM
Leland360
Default Electrical plug

I have a 1998 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the automatic transmission I'm trying to figure out what the electrical plug is on the end of my transfer case and where the wires run to and I can't figure get out there's nothing even in the Chilton or Haynes and repair manual repeat the plug is at the end of the transfer case I think it's like a three-pong plug and it's oval shape Mario and whatever it plugged into on bolts from the transfer case

Old 09-21-2024 | 01:07 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by Leland360
I have a 1998 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the automatic transmission I'm trying to figure out what the electrical plug is on the end of my transfer case and where the wires run to and I can't figure get out there's nothing even in the Chilton or Haynes and repair manual repeat the plug is at the end of the transfer case I think it's like a three-pong plug and it's oval shape Mario and whatever it plugged into on bolts from the transfer case
You can download the factory service manual for your year truck via this link - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

The information you're looking for will definitely be in there.

Old 09-21-2024 | 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it were an older truck, I would say VSS.... but, the 98 shouldn't have one..... Is there actually something plugged into it??

Old Yesterday | 09:15 PM
98dodgeramjames
Default Hey

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
treat the vacuum lines like water. if the result is not correct at the end point (cad), then either start at the source and follow it forward step by step, or start and the end (cad) and follow it backwards.

prove you have vac at the engine.
prove you have vac at the t-case.
remove the vac switch from the t-case and test it. note the 4 ports and the keyed connector. it can only go one way. one line is input, one is vent. one is 2wd output (inside button not depressed). other is 4wd (button pressed). bench test it. reinstall switch and move to the cad.

as said the steel vac lines along the transmission cross member get torn up. you can replace with anything. brake line, fuel line, copper line, aluminum, rubber hose.

How do I know which one to hook the vent vacuum line to the two-wheel drive to do I run them all the same to the ones that's going to the front axle I run all five lines together to the two? I'm so confused​​​​​

Old Yesterday | 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The red and black go to the front axle. The outboard port on the cad diaphragm gets vacuum in 2wd, inboard port in 4wd. Green line is a vent line. It terminates up behind the engine somewhere. Whatever is left, should be source vacuum from the engine.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4WD Vacuum Lines