2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
snookhooked
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Transmission problems

I was coming home and it acted like it wasn't shift but revving up in the 3000 on tach. it sounded like a ban but not for sure when you have your wife in your ear. the truck has 145,000 miles on it and its the 46RE transmission I believe with the 318 motor. Is there a way to test or just run it to a local transmission shop. I dont even know what I would be looking for in cost of rebuilding it? I thought about junk yards but went through a lot of headache there in the past when I was 20 and doing a ford tranny that I had to exchange several times because they had problems. I'm in the my 40 now so I don't know if Im up to doing that now.lol

Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gear(s) are you noticing the problem?

You could always do a filter/fluid swap, check for debris on the magnet, some normal debris is expected to be there, chucks of metal are not.

Could also check the TV Cable adjustment.

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Dodg...Adjustment.pdf

You can usually get a free diagnose at a Transmission Shop, if they're honest they'll tell you whats wrong, if they figure it out, if not they'll just tell you it's rebuild time, probably between $1k-$1200 for a stock rebuild.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM
snookhooked
Professional

Im thinking it was from 2nd to 3rd. it mas like a revving noise but not engaging feel. I was in traffic so I couldnt really tell but going to wait till its quiets down with less traffic and minus wife this round to get a better idea. I did a fluid changes as well as both governor sensor ( cant remember the names. at that time it wasn't shifting back down into first I believe. I went through a manual shift and know I went from 1st to second but couldn't guarantee it was going into 3rd. I just know I was running around 2500 rpm but couldn't go any faster than 40 at best. I didn't want to push it either. I made like a spinning baring sound. I don't know if that help you? I dont explain things the best.lol

Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
stewie01
Legend

Welp could also do a band adjustment. Rear band adjustment is pretty easy, requires dropping the pan though. Front band? adjustment screw is on the outside of the transmission tucked up in a way you need 3 hands..

Procedure in the FSM in the DIY/FAQ Section.

Edit:

Basic's first, have you checked for proper fluid level? Truck at normal operating temp, in Neutral?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
snookhooked
Professional

Well Stewie, I did get to do a little run and it acted like it wasn't shifting at all. I couldn't tell any different when I tried a manual shift.( This is a cold test) I am going to start it up in the morning and let it reach normal temp and check the fluid level. I could then go from there. maybe I might get lucky enough to get it corrected.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 AM
snookhooked
Professional

I also meant to say the check engine light came on as well. I will check the fluid in the morning as well run it by advance auto if the light is still on to see maybe if gave me some code. I cant image the solenoid would go back out so soon but I also heard that the convertor clogged that it can cause issues as well. I don't understand why? I will update where I am when I find anything out.

I also had another question. it would act like it slipped when it was cold in the morning but would stop when engine warmed up. make any sense?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 AM
stewie01
Legend

Let us know what the CEL is. Clogged cats can wreak havoc but I don't think they'll make your transmission slip.

When you try manual shift you are disconnecting the 8 Pin Connector on the driver side of the transmission right? If you disconnect that you will have 0 automatic function and you'll have to use the gear selector...

Let us know how the fluid level is too, check for any really burnt smell.

Last edited by stewie01; 06-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM
snookhooked
Professional

Great News. it was the sensor on the rear of the tranny that controls the shifting. some type of sped sensor. cant think of the name but a $25 dollar part. The guy at the tranny shop showed me what and how to replace it. a whole 5 minutes and gave me the part for free. she is running great now. Thanks for the help Stewie

Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
stewie01
Legend

Awesome it was a cheap fix!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

Glad that's all it was. Don't think anyone else got off that cheap! Check fluid condition in case it smells a little burned, and if so, change it.

Quick Reply: 99 Transmission problems