2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:31 AM
dodgeman41291
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation a few questions

ok hows everyone doin? well I was doing great until a few weeks ago after I had Midas attempt to fix a few things on my 95 Dodge RAM 1500 (5.9l) the first thing I had them do was an emergency fuel pump replacement literally went out in my moms driveway so I called roadside assistance they towed it to the nearest shop which was Midas (which is not my preferred place) they fixed it, so i was thinkin well hey the plenum gasket is fixn to go out cause the truck was burning oil at a slow but steady rate, well apparently they put all the gaskets in place correctly but according to my good friend and ASE certified master mechanic Bruce Condor of Napa Automotive, Midas didn't tighten the intake manifold down enough and was causing the engine to lean out on both left and right banks. so he took the intake apart and he called me and said they didn't even clean out the EGR port. well he put everything back together but the truck still hasn't been running right, today I got codes 22, 23 and 25, and when the CEL came on the transmission came out of torque lock mode and would switch on and switch off randomly. would any or a combination of these codes cause the transmission to come out of torque lock mode and also be hard starting after the engine has cooled down? I mean it takes me 10+ minutes to get the truck started after its been sitting for a few hours. too me it sounds like Midas ****ed my truck up ROYALLY! and I've been too 3 people all of which are ASE certified and they cannot figure out whats wrong with it. I've replaced the PIP sensor in the distributor, cap, rotor button, plugs and I'm still having problems starting when its cold, but it doesn't hard start when the engine is warm? any suggestions? I'm just gonna replace those sensors as indicated by the computer and hope that cures all.

another question is, I was reading on allpar.com that in 94-97 these trucks where able to do the auto lock feature at 16mph, which the dealership or the owner could activate it, I'm not sure if this is true sense on these trucks there is no CTM. does anyone have this feature on their trucks from 1994-1997? http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/1994-ram.html

Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

22 Engine Coolant temperature sensor input out of normal range. Check engine temperature sensor.

23 Intake air manifold temperature sensor is out of range. Check sensor.

25 A short is detected in one or more of the idle air motor circuits.

Temp sensor being wrong would give you hard starts. Keep in mind, your truck has two, one for the PCM, one for the gauge. You want to replace the 2 wire sensor.

IAT seldom fails.... Given that you are seeing out of range errors on two sensors, wonder if they didn't screw up the wiring somewhere..... (although, doing a fuel pump, they aren't even in the same neighborhood.....) Check and make sure you are getting 5 volts to IAT before simply replacing it.

Wonder if the IAT code isn't related to the other two...... Might wanna start by tracing wiring.

That said.... If the truck ran good before going to midas for the fuel pump, I would be taking it back to them, and telling them to fix it.

My truck has power locks, but, nowhere on my build sheet did I see an autolock feature mentioned.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a sort of auto lock on my truck, I start it with my door closed and it will lock the doors, shut it off and it unlocks them. With the drivers door open there is no auto lock at all, I also have the key less opt on my truck don't know if that makes a diff or not, it is not a aftermarket key less.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
22 Engine Coolant temperature sensor input out of normal range. Check engine temperature sensor.

Temp sensor being wrong would give you hard starts. Keep in mind, your truck has two, one for the PCM, one for the gauge. You want to replace the 2 wire sensor.

IAT seldom fails.... Given that you are seeing out of range errors on two sensors, wonder if they didn't screw up the wiring somewhere..... (although, doing a fuel pump, they aren't even in the same neighborhood.....) Check and make sure you are getting 5 volts to IAT before simply replacing it.

Wonder if the IAT code isn't related to the other two...... Might wanna start by tracing wiring.

That said.... If the truck ran good before going to midas for the fuel pump, I would be taking it back to them, and telling them to fix it.

My truck has power locks, but, nowhere on my build sheet did I see an autolock feature mentioned.
My brother had all kinds of starting issues with bad temp sensor on his Jeep.
Aslo save yourself some greif and use OEM sensors and not aftermarket.
Aftermarkets can be way out of spec.

Dave

Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I have a sort of auto lock on my truck, I start it with my door closed and it will lock the doors, shut it off and it unlocks them. With the drivers door open there is no auto lock at all, I also have the key less opt on my truck don't know if that makes a diff or not, it is not a aftermarket key less.
My truck does this also. I have the key less option from factory. Doors auto lock at 15 mph

Old 12-07-2013, 03:12 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ I don't have the 15 mph thing going on must be in the newer truck years.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 AM
dodgeman41291
Amateur

Well remember I had them do a plenum gasket job too which they couldn't get right because they didn't tighten down the intake all the way, so I had my real mechanic do it. Midas said there was nothing wrong. Anyways, the computer didn't start giving me codes till the other day. But was still hard starting regardless. I'm gonna cross my fingers that it's just the sensor. I was looking over the wireimg and everything seems to be intact. I'm taking it to napa auto repair tomorrow where Bruce runs his shop. Also would like to add at the same time the CELA Came on my torque lock doesn't come on. I think te computer is in limp mode right now. And actually what happened was Midas did both jobs, about 2 weeks later that's when all the troubles came about so I'm honestly thinking it's the sensors. Wouldn't hurt to replace all of them the engine has almost 300,000 miles on it. But still runs like a top wen it gets going.

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Quick Reply: a few questions