2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random groaning noise HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Hick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random groaning noise HELP!!!

Hi, I just bought a 97 Ram 1500, 5.2 Auto 4x4 200k miles. It had a random groaning noise and a bad right front u-joint when I got it. Replaced the u-joint today and took it out for a shake down, the u-joint clicking is gone but the random groaning is still there. I put about 30 miles on it and the noise just kept getting more frequent. It starts and stops for no reason, lasts for several seconds. If I hit a bump sometimes it will cause it or stop it. I searched the forum but really didn't find anything close to this. Any help is really appreciated!!

EDIT: a little more research and i came across a thread about the transfer case snap ring causing similar problems. If thats it, where can I get a snap ring on a sunday???

Last edited by Hick; 12-07-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

you have troll trapped in your engine compartment. LET him out!!!! LOL

Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Hick

Moe, I wish it was that easy, haha.

So I pulled the driveshaft and tailshaft cover only to find a perfectly good snap ring..... still at a loss.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked the oil level in the front diff, xcase? Possible cad problem, rear u-joint going out.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Hick

Ive not checked the levels yet. Im about to go put the driveshaft back in. One of the caps came off of the rear u-joint when I removed it from the yoke, but there was no slop in it. How can I check the CAD? I dont have a vac tester

Old 12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would pull the cad off the diff, look over the forks and collar mover the collar back and forth over the axle ends it should be a smooth transition once the splines are matched up. If it is not you might need new bushings and one bearing that support the axles.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 PM
rgviewer
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have what I would call a groaning noise coming from under my floor boards. I just recently changed my transfer case, I know now my original transfer case had a bad snap ring and hopefully something else internally in transfer case, or I just spent $200 on a snap ring. Anyway it made a god awful noise when it acted up.

But since then, I have heard a groaning noise a couple of times, that got me really thinking about what is different. One thing that stood out each time that my Ram made a groaning noise was when I forgot to let the torque converter fill up by putting the truck in neutral before driving. I just found out about that trick a few months ago, as my check valve in the tranny cooler line has been removed.

Every time I have driven my truck since the new transfer case and remembered to put the gear shift in neutral before putting in drive, No groaning noise. The two times I didn't... Then I had a groaning noise. And I have put on a lot of miles. The noise is not a constant sound, but more when I push down on accelerator and is intermittent but only done it 2-3 times. My thought is that the torque converter wasn't completely full, but full enough to allow me to move forward.

I don't know much about this and like I said only recently found out about the check valve so only take this with a grain of salt, but something to try.

Last edited by rgviewer; 12-08-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Hick

Well I removed the cad and it looked okay, moved when it was supposed to, collar moved smoothly. Checked front diff, couldnt feel fluid. Drained it, it came out like pancake batter. Refilled it and drove it and it still made the noise. Putting it in 4wd will make the noise go away instantly

Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Hick

Update: took it out for a stroll tonight, when it makes the noise all I have to do is pull the transfer lever back 1/4 inch and it stops. I don't even have to engage 4wd

Quick Reply: Random groaning noise HELP!!!