2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help. 96 ram 1500. started this morning....now nothing..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:12 PM
ktmae99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help. 96 ram 1500. started this morning....now nothing..

Started my truck this morning it started. With a bit of a clunk as if I was pumping the clutch. ..but it started and ran for less than 5 minutes and turned itself off. My battery is good my altenator is good .. just checked it a few days ago by pulling the battery with it running .... I tapped on the starter too .. no good .. any ideas ? I need help ... don't be to rough on me guys ..

Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM
storithere

my 96 did same thing. I changed the cam senser located pass side back of engine, hard to get to. The cat converters go bad causing the gas tank to melt too and they cause rough running on and off. Pull the oxygen senser to confirm if it runs good when out. You will not find gas tanks anywhere new or old. Found a tank and after installing, of course it wouldn't run but tried to so I pulled the forwared oxygen sensor and it started. With just 101k miles, the cat converter and all oxy sensers must be bad. With nothing at the key and you tried jumping it, I'd go to fuses and they can look good but be bad. If still nothing, maybe you can cross the started selenoid if you can get to it at the starter to see if it turns over with the key on. If it starts, then and you have good fuses, maybe the ignition switch is bad. I've had battery cable wires looking new but full of corrosion inside so cut into one to see if it looks good. Hope you post when you figure it out for others.

Last edited by storithere; 12-14-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: new info
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF. Will move you to the correct location.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Does the engine crank at all?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by storithere
The cat converters go bad causing the gas tank to melt too and they cause rough running on and off.
Has this happened to you? I can't see any correlation between the two, never even heard of a gas tank melting unless you've put the exhaust right next to the tank for some reason...

OP was the truck idling in this 5 minute time or were you driving?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 AM
ktmae99

The truck is acting like the battery is dead. Draining it instantly. It was idling when it stopped running

Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

First, clean the battery terminals REALLY well. Make sure they are on tight. Verify the battery has a good charge. Check and clean the grounds as well.

If the battery is good, try and crank the engine, if it works, cool, if it doesn't.... swap the starter relay with the horn relay, try again.

Quick Reply: help. 96 ram 1500. started this morning....now nothing..