2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with sluggish truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Help with sluggish truck

Ok, So a while ago, I bought a 1997 Dodge RAM Truck with a 5.9. I haven't driven it much at all, it needed an engine and a lot of other work, but the engine has now been replaced. The truck is sluggish, and I know it's probably because of the engine setup. I had it at my mechanic for a couple of weeks who believes it's sluggish because of the engine setup. Currently, the truck has a re-built bottom end, it has new heads with 2.02 intake valves, it as the Hughes HER0814AL Camshaft, a ported kegger intake manifold, and it's been tuned by HEMIFEVER. It's running a lot better since the tune, but the mechanic believes it's not making the power it should. He believes I need higher pressure fuel injectors, and I think he thinks a better intake would be a good idea. What do you all suggest I do to help my truck out a little?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Did you install the suggested springs with that cam as well? What ratio rockers? Getting any codes? (if low fuel pressure was an issue, you should be seeing codes for running lean. if you aren't, then that probably isn't it.)

Hows the cat? O2 sensors? Fix the plenum plate? (as you ported the keg, I would guess you did something there....) What ya got for exhaust?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:59 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Yes, I got the suggested springs. I'm running the stock 1.6 ratio rockers. No codes, fuel pressure tested fine. Mechanic thinks it's a little lean because he feels it should be getting more gas, but again, no codes.

It's a brand new Flowmaster cat, new O2 sensors, I've got the plenum plate on there. Sadly, I currently have the stock cat-back and exhaust manifolds. Stock Throttle Body as well.

Thanks ahead for your help!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not just starting off in the wrong gear is it? Does it perform better once its rolling?

May need to do some data logging, and have a chat with Sean, adjust your tune a bit. (longer pulse width for more fuel)

Did you get fuel sync reset? Not 180 out is it? Run smooth?

What about your timing set? Are you advancing/retarding the cam at all? Not getting any valve train noise are you? (looks to be a reground cam.... so, might need slightly longer pushrods to work correctly.)

With that setup, you should be able to smoke the tires without much effort. 50mm throttle body wouldn't hurt you either.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

No, it's starting in first gear, just doesn't have much power. Not much better when it's rolling.

Ok, I'll do some data logging and send Sean an email.

Mechanic claims he did a fuel sync reset. I wasn't there. I have a hand held scanner that gives data, is there a setting I can check to make sure? It does sound very smooth when the engine is running :-)

It's got a brand new double roller timing chain from Mopar. The cam isn't set to advance or retard any, it's right at 0. As far as I can tell, no valve train noise, but I am running the stock pushrods... I'd like to upgrade to roller rockers and better pushrods in a couple of months. Right now, I just want my truck. I'll listen for valve train noise tomorrow to confirm, but I don't hear anything.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think the little hand held scanners will display fuel sync.... wish they would though. But, if it idles nice, chances are, he has it set.....

Think I would data log, and consult with Sean first.... see what he has to say. If it isn't something he thinks with the tune.... we can take it from there.

Just for grins, you could do a compression test. make sure things are sealing up as they should.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Will do! Thanks!

Old 12-21-2013, 01:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much vac is the motor making? Put a gauge on it and get back to us.
Do you have a wideband 02 yet? If not get one before you blow all kinds of money on custom tunes that are hit and miss.
Injectors should be good to 400 hp you have a tuner he can play with fuel trim.
Intake would help big time so would headers.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Ok, I'm waiting on Sean to get back with me. He wanted a picture of the distributor / rotor orientation at TDC. Looks good to me:

I took the truck out for a drive today, it gave me some trouble, but I got it home. Now the truck doesn't even idle and I have to have my foot on the gas to keep it from dying. I did run a compression test, and my compression is good. Everything seems to be sealing up nicely. All my cylinders are in the 155~160 range.

I don't have a wideband O2, never heard of one before. Is that just a new O2 sensor? Do I need a special tool to read the results it's giving me?

Don't have a vacuum gauge, but I'll pick one up at Harbor Freight and see what the vacuum is. I do know heat and air vents work.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Your scanner may have an input for the wideband O2 sensor. It has a bit better range of operation than the ones the factory tosses in there. It would be in addition to the current ones you have though.

So long as number one cylinder is in firing position, that looks pretty close. There are some index marks in various places for initial setup...

Try unplugging the front O2 sensor, and see if it runs any better. (eliminate failing O2 sensor as possible cause.)

Quick Reply: Help with sluggish truck