2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Input needed on engine swap/engine change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Cudarich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input needed on engine swap/engine change

Yes, this may seem like another one of those wild hemi swap posts... and it kind of is. The difference is that I am extremely dedicated to pulling this off, I love design and fabrication, the truck i NOT my dd, I dont mind taking my time to do it right, and I am spending a lot of time on planning and research to help everything go as smoothly as possible.

I wont get into the details of this build yet until I actually start it other than the vehicle is a 97 2wd ram1500.

The purpose of this post is to get your input as to if I am reading the laws correctly. Truck is originally registered in Caliornia, and I want to do a CA smog leal build.

My question is, if I find a wrecked 2009-20010 5.7L ram 1500 and do the engine swap, can I also pull off a Magnuson Supercharger install legally as well?

Reason I ask, is because I spoke with a smog technician and he said he wasn't sure and didnt think so, and mentioned if there was an executive order... blah blah...

So before I went and contacted a referee, I did some more homework and found the interesting tidbit about "Engine Modifications" here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html

Followed the link and searched for the 5.7L Ram truck executive order for the magnuson s/c and found this:
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-488-16.pdf

It appears to me that this might work and remain CA smog legal.

Let me know what you think, other than, "you're insane/stupid, you're never gunna do it!"

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Cudarich; 12-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:48 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest thing I wonder about with wanting to use a Hemi engine that new is the MDS (if applicable to that year)

It IS possible to put a Hemi in a 2nd Gen Ram, if you have some $$$$ and a complete donor truck and time you can pull it off, you'll need the transmission from the donor too.

Last edited by stewie01; 12-23-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were a lawyer (which I'm not) or if I were a CA Emissions "Referee" (which, again, I am not) I would say that the executive order applies to those listed vehicles only. Once you put that hemi in a '97, the order may not cover it. Government officials don't always like combining documents into a common sense answer.

I would definitely clarify that with a referee first, then start looking for a doner vehicle. (Assuming that the supercharger is a deal breaker for you.)

Just my .02 (from having to deal with lawyers and federal regulations every day.).

Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Cudarich

@stewie01: Agreed, this project will be expensive, but with the magnitude of this project, it will take a long time, so once I begin, it will be a slow build, due to the technicality of it and the also the finances.

@Twmays: You are correct on the deal breaker assumption. The direction this build is going in, it is going to need some real grunt. If I had it my way, I'd build it with a crate 6.1 and forget legality, and tow it from place to place. Since those jerks over at the CA lottery never seem to call my numbers, I can't afford a tow rig, a trailer, and the project truck. Where I'm praying I'm correct is from here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html
where under the engine change guidelines it gives the executive order link under the "engine modifications" topic and it gives the "not so direct" bit about "...EPA–certified for use in the installed engine..." I just cant tell what that REALLY means...

I just really want to gauge what my peers "you guys" might have to say. Obviously before I spend a dime, I'll need to have a sit down with a referee.

If if hosed with this, I'll probably need to go with the non-smog legal plan and just have it be a toy truck... I should have some friends who I could convince to help me haul it to and from places....

Old 12-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Cudarich

Also, I need to find out from a referee, or someone with more experience on the topic than me, where they draw the line as far as what the vehicle is registered as. I mean, it seems like if I was going to get a salvaged truck and use its entire drivetrain, exhaust, ecu, etc.... how much of it is really a 97ram?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the motor swap do a google search for this guy "98hemi-ram" hopefully that search will take you to the forum where he can be found and I am sure he will offer you help/suggestions.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Cudarich

@merc I've heard of him, haven't hit him up for info yet.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Another place to get some help/advice from would be to contact some of the companies that offer hemi swaps into TJ/JK Jeeps. Many of them offer swaps that will pas Cal smog standards. So they can at least tell you what you're going to need to have & do.

It is still registered as a 97 Ram as they don't care what engine/drivetrain you have installed in it for that part.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cudarich
@merc I've heard of him, haven't hit him up for info yet.
We talk a bit over on RF I am sure he will help if he can.

Best of luck on your swap.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Usually...... the CARB is fairly friendly with putting a newer motor into something. The truck needs to conform to emissions standards for the year it was built, newer motors generally have stricter standards... so, not so much of an issue. Still and all, I would verify that you will be able to make the truck street legal before you spend a dime on the swap.

Quick Reply: Input needed on engine swap/engine change