2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gen light is on, truck wont start.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:15 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tested the battery today with load and it dropped down to 8 volts. BAD! so im thinking the alt went and drained the battery. the battery is getting charged now so ill see if it turns over tonight.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you fully charge the battery before you load tested? If so you've got a bad battery.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

yep, so battery was indeed shot and come to find out i also had the wrong battery in the truck. so now ive got a new one and the correct battery. still no start. its turning real good but not starting. my uncle seems to think my fuel pump/filter is clogged and i think its the alt because my GEN light is on the dash and that has to do with the charging system. says it in the owners manual. problem is i dont wanna replace parts that dont need replaced. any ideas now that the battery is not a question?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Turn the key to on. Does the fuel pump run? If it does, get a pressure gauge, and test it. Should be right about 49 psi.

Are you getting spark?

Do you have power at the injectors? (if the engine ain't running, you only get power at the coil, and the injectors, for about three seoncds, or until the PCM sees the engine turning.)

Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Gen light generally means charging system fault when the truck is running. Not starting now sounds like the fuel pump went out. When you first turn the key on can you hear the pump cycle (a helper can be handy here)? If not you can try hitting the bottom of the tank (not hard enough to break things) to shock the pump into working. This doesn't work very often, but can. As with the alternator, hitting it is only a "get you home" fix.
When it rains it pours.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:12 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i was told to turn the key and listen for a "click" sound. i couldnt really hear anything. i have no idea about the injectors or how to check that. also im pretty sure im getting spark. why would the gen light be on if i cant even get it started. the first time i saw this light was when i couldnt get it to start. i searched GEN light and all i could find is alternator is bad. i hope its the alt and not the fuel pump. how hard is a fuel pump swap? dropping the tank un bolt a couple things and good to go type of thing?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i think next im going to try smacking the tank and see if it at least turns on so i can get her home to work on it. its a good 20 miles away so it driving me crazy to get all these ideas and have to wait til i get a ride.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:42 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

at least it starts when i smack it i will then know for sure what the issue is.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonBuc'em
i was told to turn the key and listen for a "click" sound. i couldnt really hear anything. i have no idea about the injectors or how to check that. also im pretty sure im getting spark. why would the gen light be on if i cant even get it started. the first time i saw this light was when i couldnt get it to start. i searched GEN light and all i could find is alternator is bad. i hope its the alt and not the fuel pump. how hard is a fuel pump swap? dropping the tank un bolt a couple things and good to go type of thing?
If everything around you is quiet when you first turn the key on you'll hear a mechanical buzzing from the rear of the truck, it won't stay on, it's just for a few seconds, that's the fuel pump.

Last edited by stewie01; 12-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

so if i hear it buzzing its fully operational?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gen light is on, truck wont start.