2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can i have two different sets of different sized tires on my 2wd 99 dodge ram 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 PM
dcoomes28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can i have two different sets of different sized tires on my 2wd 99 dodge ram 1500?

ok so my tires are getting worn and i dont have the money to go buying new ones this second. all of my current tires are the same size (265-75r-16), one of them is a different brand/tread, i got the truck that way. im thinking the different tire tread is adding to my speed wobbles and yes i know i need an alignment as well. i just got 6 tires from my buddy (285-75r-16) but most are chewed up, 2 are in great shape, 2 are decent and 2 are pretty shredded. im almost 100% i can fit those tires because i have 2" leveling kit and it said it would fit the 285's stock. my truck is 2wd, heres the question, could i run the 2 best smaller tires in front and the bigger nicer ones in the rear without any issues? the tread on 2 of my older tires is better than the new to me (used) 2 decent ones i have but 2 of the bigger new tires i have are perfect. im just hoping to get the 4 best treaded tires on my truck as well as not having any mismatched tread/brands. any info or help is greatly appreciated, i have used this site many times with fixes and additions to my truck and am very greatful for everyones input on all forums on this site.

side note: looking to get another 96 5.9 1500 sport, guy wants $500, it has 116,000 miles, trannys shot and only has reverse. any quick fixes? or trannys deffinately shot? im pretty sure its 46re but i know the 46rh was also used in 96. does anyone know exactly what transmission?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

You can do that with the tires without any rude side effects. Since the rear tires will be larger than stock, your speedometer will read slower than what you are actually going though, so, keep that in mind.

Trans is toast. Time for a replacement. But...... if the truck is in decent shape, 500 bucks is really hard to beat..... (close enough to drive it home in reverse? )

Quick Reply: can i have two different sets of different sized tires on my 2wd 99 dodge ram 1500?