2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Girl needs advice 1998 1500 4x4 auto 318 slt

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM
shortbospirit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girl needs advice 1998 1500 4x4 auto 318 slt

Hello boys. I have been using this forum for over a year now which has helped me big at times. I LOVE my truck which has ext cab, slight lift, big BFG's, cold air intake and is in great shape for the age and having nearly 250k on her. Just did the intake manifold gaskets and cleaned up/new o rings on injectors and changed tranny fluid n filter. Magnet was thick with shavings. This past summer was high on the mountain when I lost 4 low. After fluid change we put her in 4 low at shop and no problem till I tried to take her back to 2wd. TC was grinding horribly and made me shutter when I had to force it back to 2wd. The back up lamps don't light unless you hold shifter kinda in between R n N. Shifter has a bit of play in it for R and N. If I hit a bump too hard she pops into N. We attempted to adjust cable at steering column but did not help. I live in Northern New Mexico around 7000'. I am a full time student on limited income. Yep this is my only transpo. I finally found a great mechanic who doesn't rip me off however he isn't a tranny man. I don't know if I should just start looking for new/old tranny and tcase or if there may be a relatively simple fix like replacing governor or something. If I need to look at replacing tcase and tranny can anyone educate me on what years and models are interchangeable? Any particular yards that have good reps? Ebay dealers? Yall know the drill. What would you tell your mom or sister?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,359 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Check the adjustment of the shift linkage itself. Sounds like some of the bushings are worn out. (relatively easy fix.)

Download the 01 service manual from the service manual thread in the faq section here. Proper adjustment procedure is in there.

Grinding trying to get back into 4/2hi is pretty normal. Best bet is to stop, trans in neutral, and shift the t-case as quickly as possible. If it still wants to grind, and not shift, shut off the motor. Should shift fine then. Low range is NOT synchronized.

I would tell my mom or sister to just bring it over, and let me deal with it.

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 What he posted.

Most of the times when I have had a vehicle shift into N going over a bump, it has had bad body mounts, or bad motor and tranny mounts.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM
shortbospirit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for the replies. I have downloaded the manual and will start reading it to see what I can handle on my own as well as share it with my mechanic. He works very well with me and is happy to teach me too. @ Hey You...good answer about mom and sister...too bad you are in MI

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Funny thing about techs, They are always willing to help and teach what they have learned. That maybe the reason most of members like to share information. Welcome to Dodge form. If you have any questions, just ask.

Quick Reply: Girl needs advice 1998 1500 4x4 auto 318 slt