2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drivers rear wheel came off on the highway..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. Lug nuts are probably long gone, aren't they.....
Lug nuts and my wheel and tire... Had two cops going up and down both sides of the highway for 5 miles and they couldn't find it, figure someone picked it up.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
That should not have happened!! Might be a good idea to check the other wheels to ensure they are not loose. Sounds like the wheel was not tightened correctly by the last person to service it or someone could have tampered with it.

I once lost the spare tire from out of the back of my truck after purchasing it. A friend of mine was following me and he almost had to change his underwear when it happened. The steel plate that held the center of the wheel had rusted out and let the wheel eject out of the back of the truck. Luckily, I was able to find the wayward spare tire laying up against a guard rail near my highway exit.
Yeah I actually had it aligned the other day and I just went and looked and one of the studs on the front passenger is broken off too. So I think I'm going to go ahead and replace all of the wheel studs because that's sketchy.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

I had a loose wheel on the back of my challenger, many, many, many years ago..... It sounded HORRID though. I KNEW there was something up. All it took was tightening up the lug nuts, and I was golden. Well, I would have been, had I not then locked my keys in the trunk.......
I wish I could have had some warning..

Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Did the shop where the alignment was done also rotate your tires by any chance? If so, they are responsible for repairs...... I would call and have a chat with them in any event, and check the rest of your lugs and nuts as well. I suspect they overtightened them......

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Did the shop where the alignment was done also rotate your tires by any chance? If so, they are responsible for repairs...... I would call and have a chat with them in any event, and check the rest of your lugs and nuts as well. I suspect they overtightened them......
There's a good chance they might have, I know they added air to them. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Or cross-threaded some of them and forced the lug nuts on anyway..

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM
tylarkin
Amateur

Ya picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel!!!!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by tylarkin
Ya picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel!!!!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Anybody got any advice on where to find a backing plate?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The factory part number is 04761544 they call it "SUPPORT, Rear Wheel Brake" I tried a couple of sites and I had no luck finding it. So it might be a dealer only part, you might call around to a few auto wreckers and see if they can help. If you get really stuck I have one here you can have, I just don't know how long it would take to get there or how much to ship it.

Quick Reply: Drivers rear wheel came off on the highway..