2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drivers rear wheel came off on the highway..

Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers rear wheel came off on the highway..

Hello, I was driving down the highway in my 98 Ram 1500 4x4 and my rear driver side wheel came off and rolled past me. Luckily I was able to roll over to the shoulder and stop. So, how do I go about fixing this?
One wheel stud broke and then the others stripped and let the wheel go.

New hub and drum?

My abs light is on and I'm leaking fluid from underneath so I'm assuming I'll need a brake line too somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
JTB488
Amateur

At least 5 new studs. Is there any damage on the axle shaft itself? Probably not. May have got lucky and the drum is ok, but only you can see if there is damage to it. The backing plate probably took the most damage. The leaking fluid is probably from the wheel cylinder. When you hit the brakes, it most likely blew it apart.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by JTB488
At least 5 new studs. Is there any damage on the axle shaft itself? Probably not. May have got lucky and the drum is ok, but only you can see if there is damage to it. The backing plate probably took the most damage. The leaking fluid is probably from the wheel cylinder. When you hit the brakes, it most likely blew it apart.
Yeah I had already counted on studs. The axle shaft itself seems perfectly fine to me, the drum is apart.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Did all the studs shear off?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Did all the studs shear off?
Only one sheared.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

If the drum was off when you stepped on the brake, you more than likely blew the wheel cylinder apart.... that would leak like a stuck pig.

Were the lugs loose? Did it make any noise before it abandoned the rest of the truck? That kind of thing really shouldn't happen........ Not even a really hard bump should rip the wheel off, at least, not without totally trashing the tire and wheel.....

How does everything else look there? Back plate usable? Brake shoes? Etc.?

Lugs are just "pressed" in to the axle. You can use a BFH to knock out what's left, use a spare nut, and thick washer to pull the new ones in. (air tools make this a LOT easier) Fix whatever issues the brakes came up with, put it back together, and you should be ready to roll.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the drum was off when you stepped on the brake, you more than likely blew the wheel cylinder apart.... that would leak like a stuck pig.

Were the lugs loose? Did it make any noise before it abandoned the rest of the truck? That kind of thing really shouldn't happen........ Not even a really hard bump should rip the wheel off, at least, not without totally trashing the tire and wheel.....

How does everything else look there? Back plate usable? Brake shoes? Etc.?

Lugs are just "pressed" in to the axle. You can use a BFH to knock out what's left, use a spare nut, and thick washer to pull the new ones in. (air tools make this a LOT easier) Fix whatever issues the brakes came up with, put it back together, and you should be ready to roll.
I'm not sure if the lugs were loose or not, they shouldn't have been unless they were tampered with. But there was no noise or vibration at all until it hit the pavement.
I haven't looked at it closely yet just got it towed home. But about an inch of the backing plate was grinded down flat so that'll have to be replaced as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. Lug nuts are probably long gone, aren't they.....

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

That should not have happened!! Might be a good idea to check the other wheels to ensure they are not loose. Sounds like the wheel was not tightened correctly by the last person to service it or someone could have tampered with it.

I once lost the spare tire from out of the back of my truck after purchasing it. A friend of mine was following me and he almost had to change his underwear when it happened. The steel plate that held the center of the wheel had rusted out and let the wheel eject out of the back of the truck. Luckily, I was able to find the wayward spare tire laying up against a guard rail near my highway exit.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I had a loose wheel on the back of my challenger, many, many, many years ago..... It sounded HORRID though. I KNEW there was something up. All it took was tightening up the lug nuts, and I was golden. Well, I would have been, had I not then locked my keys in the trunk.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers rear wheel came off on the highway..