2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Check valve deleted but still hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 AM
jwalkanime
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Check valve deleted but still hot

Thanks to the fine DIY's by purpldodge and aim4squirrels, (look them up) I deleted my checkball valve. However, put me on the list of owners who's trans temp, and od off, lights are still on. I had the tranny inspected, fluid changed, and the shop said everything looks fine. Anyone think of something else that could be wrong?
My PCM is faulty (according to shop) and being replaced. Other than that the coolant seems to have a black sooty substance in it even after being flushed.

Last edited by jwalkanime; 01-09-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Backflush the cooler. (disconnect lines at trans, and backflush the whole thing.)

Do the lites come on immediately, or after driving for a bit?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
jwalkanime
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Backflush the cooler. (disconnect lines at trans, and backflush the whole thing.)

Do the lites come on immediately, or after driving for a bit?
After about five minutes the od off comes on then the tranny temp shortly after.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Way too soon. Drop the pan, change the governor pressure sensor. It is also the temp sensor.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

To cold of tranny fluid will do the same thing.

Dave

Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Too cold won't turn on the O/D Off Lite though.....

Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

On my transmission the gov pressure solenoid and transducer/temp sensor are seperate? I have the same year as his.

Best thing to do is get yourself a IR temp gun and check your in and out cooler lines to see what temp they actually are at before you start throwing parts at it. Check them at the transmission right on the fittings from a few inches away. You might have a toasted TC and that would have transducer temps that get very high very fast when driving (minutes).

For me, I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321082407626?lpid=82 And that brings up my O/D by the time the engine reaches a 120 degrees rather than waiting a long time. My coolers are aux then rad to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

What was the problem before removing the one way check valve? You should have a button to turn the O/D lamp on or off. Also check the wire connection at the top of the transmission case that plugged into the valve body.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
jwalkanime
Amateur

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
On my transmission the gov pressure solenoid and transducer/temp sensor are seperate? I have the same year as his.

Best thing to do is get yourself a IR temp gun and check your in and out cooler lines to see what temp they actually are at before you start throwing parts at it. Check them at the transmission right on the fittings from a few inches away. You might have a toasted TC and that would have transducer temps that get very high very fast when driving (minutes).

For me, I bought this: Transmission Cooler Thermal Bypass Valve by Long Free Domestic Shipping | eBay And that brings up my O/D by the time the engine reaches a 120 degrees rather than waiting a long time. My coolers are aux then rad to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer.
By TC, do you mean trans cooler? Aren't the radiator and trans cooler intergrated? And if so wouldn't the engine be running hot if the trans cooler was shot? Thanks, I will try and test temps with a temp gun first.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 PM
rgviewer
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By TC, I think he is referring to torque converter.

Quick Reply: Tranny Check valve deleted but still hot