2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! Fixed plenum... Now alternator not charging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! Fixed plenum... Now alternator not charging?

Title says it all. Fixed the plenum, replaced the timing chain and water pump, and fired it up. (Yay!)

But now the alternator isn't charging the battery. I checked everything obvious... No loose wires, no missed connections, good connections at battery....

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is maybe I broke one of the leads back to the PCM... It has been exceptionally cold, could one of those wires have become that brittle?

Give me some ideas here guys!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 AM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use voltmeter across battery terminals to see if your getting 13.8 to 14.5 volts with engine running. Or take battery in for free bench test see if it will take a charge.
does dash gauge say it's not charging? If it is, then most likely brushes are shot in alternator. You can have that bench tested free also.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I would recheck the connections...... no reason it should quit after doing the plenum.... Make sure the ground on top of all the brackets has a good connection.

Worst case, yank the alt, take it in to get tested.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
...... no reason it should quit after doing the plenum....
That's what I thought, which is why I was so baffled...

Did some googling today and came across this link which described the same issue. Checked the alt fuse and sure enough, black and crusty. Replaced, tightened everything down, and after a few minutes of uncertainty, everything settled down and evened out. Truck runs better than it did before, by a long shot. Used to feel like it was struggling to pull its own weight. Now, it's a beast.

Again, a thousand thanks to everyone on this forum.

Quick Reply: Help! Fixed plenum... Now alternator not charging?