2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

powersteering issue..ahh this weather is killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powersteering issue..ahh this weather is killing me!

So we got a lot of snow & my old 1500 ran right through it even when there was a good 9 inches & it was minus 11 out...but today it was a diffrent story.I live in a rural area & my driveway is as long as most peoples street.Well today all my tracks had turned into ice & while I was in 4 lo I still swiped a tree.Banged up the door & the rear of the cab Luckily I do bofywork from my home shop so when everything thaws Ill fix the body damage it just sucks because I was about to paint & sell to feed my cummins craving.
Well this is what's bothering my once I got stuck my piwetsteering went out.Awhile back I didn't uave time to mess with it & had a shop replace it & it took 3 of em to work.Well about a month later I replaced the steering box.My ps pump had very dirty fluid in it I almost wanna say that it was full of oil.I mean it really smeels like oil & is really dark.It was a little low I topd it off but still no ps.All of my lines look fine.I didn't run over anything.Nothing with the suspension looks jacked up.I slid into the tree didn't hit it with a lot of force was just really close to the tree & tryd to back up & that's how it got dented.
Anybody have any ideas?I plan on flushing it & I'm gonna go look I'm the forums to see if there's anyway to check it.I let it run & sit in the snow nothing leaked but when you turn you can hear the ps pump a bit more.Iirc I take the cap off & have someone turn the wheels or try to atleast & see of the fluid is moving correct?This weather got all of my work snowed in,my doc had to cancel,couldn't run the shop & make any $ so had to sell one of my older Harleys..whch made me sick,broke down my heat,busted my pipes from my pressure tank for the well the pressure switch,the bleeder valve the shut off valve & the gauge soon as I got the gear fixed like 10 mine later is when the water broke then when the h20 got fixed I in my truck & this happens.Well sorry for the rant any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Gotta love winter..... or not.

Pull the return line off the pump, point it into a fairly large container. Start the truck, and have SOMEONE ELSE turn the wheels back and forth, and see what comes out of the return line. Don't let the pump run dry though. (this will let you flush the system some, and see if the pump is actually doing anything.)

Quick Reply: powersteering issue..ahh this weather is killing me!