2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low speed E-fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed E-fan

Hey guys, Last fall I installed the efan set up from TCP. The thing is wonderful

On the down side the two hi speed fans from SPAL are beyond overkill, which makes running my defroster a bitch in the winter. Anyone have a recomendation for a good low speed fan?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Why are the fans running at all when it is that cold out?

Do those fans support multiple speeds? Two-speed fan controller wouldn't hurt.....

Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

SPAL fans are a single speed fan, but work with SPAL (if you can find one) or Flex-a-lite variable speed controllers... these ramp up the speed of both fans (wired together) to a low setting of ~60%, and then increase the speed if adequate cooling is not achieved... A/C override brings them on at 60%.

Derale has a dual fan controller... it starts with fan#1 at 100%, and kicks in fan#2 if fan#1 isn't doing the job... A/C override kicks in fan#1.

My guess on fan activity in the cold, is the A/C cutting in to control cabin humidity... remember, water is always flowing through the heater core, and the blend door mixes the hot and cold to the selected temp.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

I have the derale controller. and yes the fans are kicking on due to ac override when the compressor kicks on for the defroster.

I was hoping to not have to replace the controller as I am actually really happy with it, there is also the cost of a new one. I've had it idle at 95* outside and never had more than fan #1 kick in. Its such a huge energy draw at idle though, the electrical system just can't keep up. Especially in winter.

a variable speed controller shouldn't harm the single speed fans should it?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't know.

The other alternative would be to upgrade the alternator. Might be cheaper... certainly be easier. Its a direct bolt on. Consult your build sheet, and see what amp output alt came stock. Take it from there. I have seen 220 amp alts for our trucks. (granted, they were expensive.....)

Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 AM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have seen 220 amp alts for our trucks. (granted, they were expensive.....)
Wait, does that mean you have found cheap parts for our trucks in the past?! What is your secret master!!!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Craigslist, EBay, Discount codes, Neighbors.

Yeah, basically, it boils down to one word. "Luck".

Also, I have a bit of an advantage. I have been 'in the business' for a couple decades, and have pretty much used the same suppliers the whole time, so, they know me on a first name basis, and I get some pretty good discounts on parts.

Quick Reply: Low speed E-fan