2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no o/d light and others

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no o/d light and others

so when I push the o/d button it doesn't light. the o/d button does work to kick it out of o/d though, but no light. also, no 4x4 light and if I remember right there was a door ajar dummy light, that's not working either. ever herd? if it was just one I would think mayb a bad illuminator.

Last edited by pipeking; 01-24-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

O/D lite: Probably the bulb is burned out.

4WD: Does it actually engage? Are the front wheels doing their job?

Door Ajar: Haven't the faintest.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 AM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, 4x4 does engage and o/d button also engages but no lights. it has been a while since I drove my truck but I thought it had a door ajar dummy light; mayb not
is there a bulb in the shifter close to the o/d button or on the dash? (either way nothing)

Last edited by pipeking; 01-25-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

O/D Off indicator is in the cluster. It should test for a couple seconds when you first turn the ignition on.

You can also do an actuator test. With the ignition off, push, and hold, the trip/reset button. Turn the ignition to on, but, do not start the engine, hold the button until you see CHEC in the odometer display. Release the button, and watch the show. The test will run thru all the gauges, and all indicator lights. Including the 4x4, and O/D Off lites. (they are LED's apparently, so, bulb failure seems unlikely......)

If you have a copy of the 01 service manual, (which you can download from the faq section here.) there are diagnosis and testing procedures outlined in there, that should apply to your truck as well.

Quick Reply: no o/d light and others